Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I bought one of those red shiney petes with the tower of big ben on the band, smoked it in the car, while driving & chared the crap out of the side I light it from. The red looks pretty but not in love with the gloss (maybe my imagination but it seems hotter in my hand)and prefer natural wood look. I want to strip it & restain. How do I do that & protect the band. I am afraid that if I start sanding I will scratch the band. just tape it? What about a paint/varnish remover?

Or leave it alone & have 3 driving pipes?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Blue painter's tape, Insty. Be sure and buy the expensive roll that peels off in one piece.
Somebody suggested that to me recently when I was concerned about some sterling repair bands.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
The very reason I don't use a butane lighter or torch. You have to try hard to burn a pipe with

matches or a Zippo. I hate your pipe got burned... Good Luck with that.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Thanks! Only a Zippo in the car now.

That finish is unforgiving, never buy it again unless I want to hang it on the wall.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
instymp, rather than paint or varnish remover, I would suggest submersing the stummel in the highest percentage isopropyl alcohol available to you. Let it bathe for a couple of hours, then take it out and give it a good scrub with a soft cloth - if you haven't pulled out the stain the first go round, toss her back into the alcohol and repeat. The alcohol can be reused for this purpose time and time again - I replace mine every three or four months (usually refinishing a half-dozen or so pipes in that time), and won't leave nasty chemical ghosts like the commercial strippers will.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
instymp...alchol is what I would suggest also, as far as in the car lighting..I dont use a zippo there because if/when I drop my lighter, I want it out when it lands..just my 2cents

Status
Not open for further replies.