PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
In past forums, I have read of a decline in quality for Peterson pipes. I own a few and they work fine but, at what price point would one consider a Peterson to be of significant quality (if at all). The 2 pipes from the dublin rustic collection I paid $80 each. My expectation for quality was low and sure the pipe cleaner reaches from tip to bowl with a little bending and twisting but, I can tell the pipe was hastily made, no big deal.

on the other hand, my 3rd pipe a 2013 St Patricks, cost me $130 and while esthetically much more pleasing with some nice flame grain, birdseye and silver band it has the same issues with its craftsmanship. almost like a waste of some beautiful briar.

While Im not too hung up on owning Petersons, there are some particular shapes that I do enjoy and want to acquire but, I was wondering if I could get more bang for my buck going with other brands.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you purchased a Peterson with a silver fitting for $130USD you scored pretty well. Sure it's not nickel? If you are satisfied with the inexpensive Petes, and you state you are, I'm sure you can fine other inexpensive pipes from other manufacturers that would also satisfy. You've asked for a very subjective response with no stated concern as to smoking experience. Corn cobs provide quality smokes for many. So do "basket" pipes.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
I took a close look and the band is nickel, not silver. My smoking experience problem has to do with the mortise/tenon/shank areas which do not line up and there are vacant areas in there that cause moisture buildup. Also, I do not smoke aromatics, I let my tobacco dry out and I smoke slow.

My question is do more expensive Peterson pipes fix these issues ?

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
My question is do more expensive Peterson pipes fix these issues ?
Yes. Sadly Peterson's $150 and under pipes are not great. I'm a big fan of Peterson pipes, but I buy the $200-$300 dollar pipes. Side note: none of the bent pipes pass a cleaner. The only bent Petes I buy are System pipes, otherwise I like their straight pipes. I'm a really big fan of their Silver Spigot line.
Your best bet for affordable, nice quality Peterson pipes is buying estate pipes. Their entry level pipes from the 80s and earlier are nice quality.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
from 120$ and onwards You possibly may have a satisfactory Peterson,or not, but based on my experiments I have had few entry-level Arans and those were pretty good smokers despite the inevitable surface imperfections which were present in each of those,mostly it was stem shaping and fitting related issues.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Probably depends on the line. I'm a fan of the Kinsale line, (though would only buy the rustic finish). Those can be had for $120 or less and have not had a speck of trouble with them. As to gaps between tenon and mortise, their deluxe system pipes are actually designed so that the stem does not seat all the way in and I have no issues with excess moisture build-up in mine. They're mighty fine pipes, though new go for around $240. Haven't been fortunate to pick up a spigot.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
I have 2 Peterson Straight Apple's , $100 each, Great Virginia smokers......... :nana:

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I have no problems with Petersons, low or higher grades, classic or systems. About 60 in use.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have six Petes, two B11, a Killarney ebony and a Shannon; an Around-the-World series bulldog; a 999 Killarney; a KS rusticated author; and the little Group 1 Begique. Most of them were bought new four to six or so years ago. I think they are all in the low- to mid-price categories. All of them have good fit and finish and smoke well. All of the quality control questions seemed to arise after I bought my pipes, and only with new pipes. I offer this information for anyone's use, in case it helps guide you toward good estate pipes. In the past year or two, Forums members seem to have encountered fewer issues, but this post suggests there are still problems. Obviously, I found the Peterson brand irresistible, and I was fortunate that the company was doing careful work when I bought the pipes. It is a judgement call, but I do not think I would invest in a high-end Peterson while there are questions about the brand anywhere in the price categories, but I do understand when you are infatuated with a pipe, it is sometimes hard to resist.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
Thank you gentlemen for all your constructive comments. My entry level straight billiard has no issues but my 69's do.

Perhaps I may invest in a higher priced Peterson especially if I can find a rusticated bent bulldog.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Thank you gentlemen for all your constructive comments. My entry level straight billiard has no issues but my 69's do.

Perhaps I may invest in a higher priced Peterson especially if I can find a rusticated bent bulldog.
I have 50ish Petersons, mostly Systems pipes, Deluxe System and straight billiard types. Now that I think about it, the only ones that weren't 'great' are lower end bent pipes. All my lower end straight pipes are fine.
I think Peterson has had their issues, just like anyone can have, but since the turn out such high numbers of pipes, people will run into more clunkers. I do know that Peterson has stood behind their pipes if someone gets a bad one. I'm a member of 2 Peterson specific groups on Facebook, there is a guy, Glen Whelan (sp), that is a member that works for Peterson. He has addressed a few issues for guys, to their reported satisfaction, he ha fixed the problems.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm assuming your pipes have fishtale stems. Most P-Lips won't pass a cleaner. I have two Supreme's that do, so by my experience, you get a better Pete if you pay a premium price.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
I would not expect a system pipe to have any luck with passing a cleaner through but, its all part of the design. The moisture accumulated collects at the bottom reservoir and the cooled smoke travels to the palate. The problem with my bent non-system pipes is that the mortise and tenon and drought hole drilling rarely line up and there are vacant areas that accumulate moisture and then cause gurgling. Considering they are entry level factory pipes pumped out in large numbers I would expect there to be less care taken into the drilling. My hope is that the more expensive non-system pipes will have better drilling and from what Ive read, on here they do. thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.