PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I recently acquired this Peterson pipe (454/1000). I'm wondering if anyone knows what this pipe is commemorating or why it was offered? Any help would be appreciated.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
You have an interesting pipe there.
I believe it is a "Pipe of the Year" pipe. Peterson generally did not call the smooth pipes "Pipe of the Year", rather they issued what they called "Limited Edition" pipes. The sandblast versions (when they did them) were called "Pipe of the Year".
These early Limited Edition pipes were not marked as such, but rather simply said ####/1000 noting a limited run of 1000.
In fact, I believe what you have here is the FIRST of the limited line issued in 1997 - a very special pipe indeed! It should have a 1997 hallmark if I am correct (the third small hallmark should be an "M").
From memory, I believe these were quite pricy back in the day >$400 for a smooth, as I believe they may have been silver collars plated with gold.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Thanks rblood, The collar is indeed gold plated Sterling. I need a magnifying glass to check the hallmarks. But you've been a great help. Thanks again, you made my day!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I new I'd seen this article before. Check it out,
https://petersonpipenotes.wordpress.com/2014/07/13/a-visual-history-of-petersons-limited-edition-pipe-of-the-year-1997-2014/

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
It's a "pipe of the year 1998", as far as I could research it these were the only POY where they plated the silver and used Cumberland stems. Your third hallmark on the silver should be "M"

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Thanks to all. The help was invaluable. Turns out it's a first year pipe for the "Limited Edition" series. A great find. Thanks to everyone for all the help. dmcmtk, I opened the link and there it was first on the list.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A great find indeed - I was watching that one closely. It is nearly identical to my 1910 Patent Reproduction pipe (also a 1998 pipe). I'm glad it went to you - maybe one day we'll smoke them together!

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Al, that would be my pleasure! If I sniped you I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. It smokes like a dream. Might even give some of my GBDs a run for the money.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You can pick up another POY here cheap. It needs a little work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Peterson-Dublin-Sterling-Silver-Collar-319-1000-Pipe-/121729543055?

lightmyfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2013
Belgium
Beware, your link shows a Peterson with an external crack on the bowl, to my point of view, this is much too expensive and almost not repairable.

lightmyfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2013
Belgium
:mrgreen:
hum yes, but I find it a bit expensive to smoke a wired bowl, even stamped Peterson on it. Well, that's just my point of view. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.