PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A few weeks ago, Steve Laug shared a Mark Irwin (co-authoring the upcoming Peterson book) blog on the Peterson Shape 9BC, a chubby billiard. My comment was "Oh-oh, you just added another shape to my “Holy Grail” list…."
https://petersonpipenotes.wordpress.com/2015/04/19/peterson-chubbies-part-2-the-old-9bc/
Last night, watching some auctions end, this one showed up, with 44 minutes to go. It was a Pre-Rebublic, but not listed as such. It appeared to be the shape 9BC, although the picture of the shape stamp was unclear. It stayed reasonable and I managed to win the auction, with a bid in the final seconds (despite 2 bid retractions again).
In communication with the seller, he confirmed it is a 9BC. I had to do some research on the Premier Selection grade as I'm not super familiar with Peterson grading. The Premier Selection was just below the Deluxe. Mark commented on his blog that there were less Premiers made than Deluxe pipes. The straight line "Made in Ireland" COM was used from 1947-1949, according to Pipepedia.
The pipe looks to be in terrific shape. The seller said he bought it in 2000 from the founder of the original Tinderbox on Wilshire Blvd.
I'm looking forward to getting this one in hand, my second Pre-Republic Peterson.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Nice catch. I've never been a big fan of the P-lip but I do like Peterson's in general. I think they have some of the best traditional bulldog shapes on the market. I have a Squire and a Captain Pete and I love them both. Enjoy. Dutch

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
ssjones, You did not keep us long in waiting for pictures. That is in great shape, especially for such an old pipe. You should not have to do much to bring it up to your standards.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, the pipe finally arrived (it was held up at the Baltimore USPS distribution center due to those shenanigans)
What a beauty and not little at 70 grams. I was surprised to find it had an inlaid, silver P stem logo and a wooden, screw-in stinger (removed).
I finished the pipe tonight and it's in my bag for our trip to Puerto Rico for the test run.
I did a blog entry at Steve's site:

http://rebornpipes.com/2015/05/01/peterson-premiere-selected-9bc/
peterson_9bc_finish.jpg

peterson_9bc_finish-3.jpg

peterson_9bc_finish-2.jpg

peterson_9bc_finish-7.jpg

peterson_9bc_finish-4.jpg

peterson_9bc_finish-10-e1430532393501.jpg

peterson_9bc_finish-11.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Great pipe! I have "Premiere" but it's a 1980 model (or that was when I bought it new at my local Tinderbox). Mine smokes great. So will yours.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I wondered how long they made the Premiere line. Mark Irwin commented in the blog, that the stinger is actually made of bone and is known as a chimney.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just smoked it for the first time, breaking her in right. Not bad, the p-lip draw is quite good, the shape feel a little odd but I think that I could get used to this.
10641232_1116520588363935_8982682834782838116_n.jpg

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Thanks for the extra info on the premier selection as I had snagged one too from pipestud and was doing some digigng to find more about it. Had it restored by walker pipe repair its a Premier Selection 255
before:

BYz0w5Fl.png

after:
Lb5WuDDl.png

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm always happy to help a piper out of some funds! That looks terrific, your inlaid P is perfect.

Welcome to the Premiere Club...

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I just joined the Pre Republic Peterson Premiere Club as well.
This one is bigger than a lot I've seen. A Group 5 or a large 4, and just a classy Pete.

forum image hosting

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Oh wow. I have examined the inside of the tenon. At first glance I thought it was just a nice, wide tenon. But I just saw the threading on the inside. In any case, no bone or wooden chimney stinger came with it, but must have originally been a part of it.
The shape number is X155.
The Grain on this pipe is killer. All Birdseye heel, with fine, tight Straight Grain up both sides. Only falls off for about 1/6 of the bowl in the very front where it just looks like small finger prints.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I really like that X155 shape. I have a no-found appreciation for older P-lip stems. The stems just don't have the same profile with a fishtale button.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Great pipe Al. I was fortunate to find one at the Vegas show last November. A pre-republic 9BC DeLuxe. I just love the way it smokes. I'm sure you will enjoy that beauty.

Andy

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
That's a great looking pipe Al. :clap:

I missed this thread the first time 'round......

Interesting info about the "chimney"....I never knew it was bone! I have an old Meer- lined Peterson billiard with the chimney in it. It came in a box of estates, and I've not cleaned her up yet............

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
SS…Since you posted this I went crazy looking for a pre-republic 9BC. I had no idea of its existence and my PAD senses went crazy! I came across this 9BC Supreme on the bay a few weeks ago and spent more than I wanted to…but…what a smoker! Now in my regular rotation and a favorite.

FullSizeRender-35_zpselniezhk.jpg

FullSizeRender-36_zpsj7rszucz.jpg

My small collection of Supremes…The Pre-Republic 9BC, a Supreme XL02 and a Pre-Republic Supreme X69.

FullSizeRender-34_zpsqpugzv5d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.