PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
Phew, finally I can post a new topic. Generally speaking, I smoke Peterson system pipes as I tend to drool a lot and it tends to be more pleasant when I'm not drawing drool through the stem! That said, I also have non system pipes and have been working on my technique a bit and seem to only get the odd gurgle. When this happens, a good shake of the pipe resolves the problem. Some time ago I bought a Peterson Silver spigot. The briar is quite thin. I am worried that A) The pipe will burn out due to the limited thickness of the walls and B) that the joint between stem and pipe will wear over time. Any advice appreciated. Secondly, regarding System pipes... They seem a divil to clean when your out and about. I've tried just detaching the stem and shaking out the excess saliva, but it seems that always some saliva remains and I am concerned that it will damage the finish on the pipe or make it stink. I smoke the same pipe all day, usually a system, but it's a pain carrying around kitchen towel to wipe out the pipe after each smoke. Does anyone know of a way of just shaking the pipe and putting it away until the next smoke?

May 4, 2015
Secondly, regarding System pipes... They seem a divil to clean when your out and about.
I would just remove the stem, pass the pipe cleaner through the shank to the bowl, and use the other end of the pipe cleaner to absorb the moisture in the system chamber. U-bend the cleaner, wipe out the bowl and continue on.
Is there something you're experiencing that would make a normal regimen with a pipe cleaner unsuitable?

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Cleaning the System pipe is a two-prong problem (working with the pipe stem removed):
1. Unlike other pipes, it is a trick to get the pipe cleaner to pass through into the bowl. With a finger nail, not your whole finger, give a bend to the very tip of your pipe cleaner -- with this tiny curve upright, you'll now pass from the shank up into the bowl readily (or eventually).
2. If, like many of us with System pipes, you haven't found the chamber for the first time to clean it... think of it now like a grease trap.

2a. A pipe cleaner will not be helpful. Use that thin metal pipe tool element (or maybe a bristle pipe cleaner) to probe/dig in there, clearly out the tar.

2b. Next, use some alcohol on a pipe cleaner until it comes out clean. A slight down-bend at the tip of the pipe cleaner works, if you're not sure the chamber is being entered.
3. A clean pipe cleaner tickling both points is your ultimate goal.
And. Don't clean and drive... a Peterson System pipe.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I wonder if it is actually saliva you are experiencing, Peterson pipes are notorious for gurgling and are very overrated in my opinion.
My method for dealing with excess moisture in a system pipe is to make a tiny tampon from kitchen roll or toilet tissue and wedge it into the sump of the pipe being careful not to obscure the airway. That will absorb all the moisture (be it saliva or steam) and allow a peaceful smoke. Be sure to remove & discard the tampon after the smoke.
Regards,
Jay.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've never experienced the problems some have and I smoke systems, have for many years. A wipe of the sump with a pipe cleaner is all it takes. If I get a little gurgle, I find a bit of reverse pressure usually clears such.
Many people quickly get the nag of the system, thousands around the world. Some people never do. :puffpipe:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Not a fan of Peterson Systems here, sorry to say. I had one ages ago and it was okay except I never got on with the P-lip. Had several of them fairly recently, all fishtails. The reason I bought them was to not have to mess with pipecleaners in public, which typically grosses out nonsmokers and non-pipesmokers seeing the white cleaner emerge all brown. Turned out they all gurgled and required removing the stem mid-smoke to shake/blow out the moisture (not from drool, just normal condensation)which was grosser than using a pipecleaner on a normal pipe. The reason they gurgled was they were all poorly drilled in one way or another, and the tenons don't fit flush so they collect a lot of moisture. I guess they're supposed to do that and it's supposed to drain down into the sump, but only part of it did. And then there was cleaning the sump, but not only that, I needed to rest them with the stems off so the sump could dry out. Got rid of all of them. I have a couple Falcons and those actually live up to their claim of dry smoking. Never a gurgle, and the piece of pipecleaner in the sump does a good job of sopping up any condensation.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have four or five Petes and none of them gurgle, but then, none are system pipes. Got rid of the lone Pete system pipe ages ago.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
+1. My lone remaining Pete is a reddish-mahogany stained bent billiard with an orangey swirl stem w/fishtail. It's one of my best smokers and favorite-looking pipes. It's just the Systems I had bad luck with, and not that they were bad smokers taste-wise, just that the System didn't do what it claimed and in fact was more of a hassle and a mess than a normal pipe.

May 4, 2015
I used to own a Peterson system P-lip, and I don't think I had any issues keeping it clean. It may have been a fraction more work, but nothing that prevented me from liking it.
I had plenty of other reasons not to like it, but the lack of "getting the nag of the system" wasn't really one of them.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
When your smoke is done and before the pipe cools pull the stem hold it unside dowm by the bowl and give a couple of good shakes and the liquid in the system will be gone.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Does it have a stinger in the stem. Neither of my system pipes gurgle, nor do they have a stinger in place. Both great smokers IMO.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I love my two Petes! Both pre-70's. I will smoke the same one all day long with no issues. And flakes don't even leave moisture in the sump.
The only better pipes are the Savinelli Dry Systems.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The system pipes are great, depending on what you smoke in them. The drier the tobacco, the less moisture you will accumulate in the sump. Since I live in the swamps of southern Louisiana, I have to empty mine each and every time. Every few days, I use a couple of big Q-tips and some vodka to clean the sump, then use a standard pipe cleaner type cleaning for the airways. Someone suggested small bottle brushes; I got a Neerup brush kit that does the trick pretty well.

Peterson-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.