Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Peterson Pipes - How Satisfied Are You with Them?

(133 posts)
  1. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

NO, it’s like my Valkyrie, don’t ride anymore, I like to look at it, paid for. Peterson’s in box I know no one will be unhappy.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 2 months ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

- Hyperbolic much?

Ophiuchus, what exactly did I hyperbole about? McDonalds getting some orders right? or that guys were acting like getting a Peterson that works was a great thing? AND, out of all of the posts in this thread, mine was the least critical of Petersons, so get off my ass.

Michael
    Posted 2 months ago #
  3. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you don't see it, you won't.

Posted 2 months ago #
  4. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK....lets see just how serious the anti Peterson guys are.

I'm willing to buy every single shitty Peterson you have for $10 a piece. Better than having them just sit there and you're never going to smoke them, no?

Careful ... you might get stuck with all the defective ones out there.

Posted 2 months ago #
  5. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Careful ... you might get stuck with all the defective ones out there. [:lol:]

I can only hope

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 2 months ago #
  6. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK....lets see just how serious the anti Peterson guys are.

I'm willing to buy every single shitty Peterson you have for $10 a piece. Better than having them just sit there and you're never going to smoke them, no?

Now, that's putting money where the mouth is. Good for you! But I also bet no one takes you up on the offer. It's a good one, and I hope you get some good pipes out of it.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  7. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 3 Petes so far. They all smoke fantastically well. The coating inside my St. Patrick's Day Pete started coming off after the first smoke, but after cleaning the hell out of it, the coating was mostly gone. The only real issue I've had so far is that the St. Paddy's Day Pete has a stem that whistles. I need to send it in to SP's soon. I just keep forgetting. It came to me that way and whistled from the very first puff and I had no clue it still would while smoking it until I actually smoked it and sure nuff, she whistled through the whole bowl. It smokes great, it just whistles while it works.

Now my Roundstone silver spigot and my Christmas 999 have had no issues whatsoever and are two of my best smokers. The Christmas pipe, for having such a small bowl, smokes flakes phenomenally well. Then again, there's not much it doesn't smoke well.

I'd have to say that overall, I'm very satisfied with my experience, just need to get that whistler fixed!

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jp, although I'm more than willing to stand by my offer, it was also meant to put some real meat into this discussion and not just a piling on with a lot of "me too" or "from what I've heard"

But, then again, this IS the internet and its oh so easy to trash talk.

Posted 2 months ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It goes both ways. The supporters of Petersons also annoyingly over-compensate. And, to clarify, I didn't give a story about my bad experiences (even though I could), but you will find these stories everywhere.

I think that the weight and reputation of those on both sides of this issue is enough.

How many times a month do we have someone make an "I just got a new Peterson with this little bity problem... can't send it back... what should I do?" I echo Harris's comment... if your bankroll is so small that getting a dud pipe or losing a $100 bet is going to really hurt your feelings, play a different game.

And, if the history, or them being made by Irish, or you love the looks of those fat little things really appeals to you, then buy all you want. Just don't get one if getting a flop is going to ruin your day. Those of us on both sides of this don't want to hear your... "my new Pete has a hole in it" story. Those of us who aren't particularly crazy about them will tell you "I told you so," and the pro-Peterson camp will call you a liar.

So, if you buy a Pete and it sucks, suck it up buttercup.

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Hahaha. Valid points Cosmic!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 2 months ago #
  11. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peterson, their up-side and the erstwhile problems, are pretty established by now, it's true. Other characteristics probably don't fly with some pipers. They make some ample bowls but seldom get beyond Group 4.

Posted 2 months ago #
  12. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It goes both ways. The supporters of Petersons also annoyingly over-compensate. And, to clarify, I didn't give a story about my bad experiences (even though I could), but you will find these stories everywhere.

I think that the weight and reputation of those on both sides of this issue is enough.

How many times a month do we have someone make an "I just got a new Peterson with this little bity problem... can't send it back... what should I do?" I echo Harris's comment... if your bankroll is so small that getting a dud pipe or losing a $100 bet is going to really hurt your feelings, play a different game.

And, if the history, or them being made by Irish, or you love the looks of those fat little things really appeals to you, then buy all you want. Just don't get one if getting a flop is going to ruin your day. Those of us on both sides of this don't want to hear your... "my new Pete has a hole in it" story. Those of us who aren't particularly crazy about them will tell you "I told you so," and the pro-Peterson camp will call you a liar.

So, if you buy a Pete and it sucks, suck it up buttercup.

I agree with you on all points here.

Posted 2 months ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry ophiuchus, I didn't mean to make fun of McDonalds earlier.

Posted 2 months ago #
  14. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

but you really had to take a step back and ask....

Does any company stay in business for over 150 years, in an industry where the end user is usually quite savvy, by producing "quite a large portion" of defective product?

Perhaps they weren't always knocking out such a large percentage of defective crap and or the "end users" are not quite as savvy as you posit. I'm clearly not because I bought a few before realising that quality was a consistent problem as all of them had problems.

jp, although I'm more than willing to stand by my offer, it was also meant to put some real meat into this discussion and not just a piling on with a lot of "me too" or "from what I've heard"

But, then again, this IS the internet and its oh so easy to trash talk.

No one has to sell their pipes to you for a fraction of their worth to prove anything and the accusation of "trash talk" is as classless as your offer. We were asked for our opinion. Mine are crap and yours are not. So what. I'm not gonna lie to the guy.

I'm going to ignore these Peterson threads in the future. It's always the same.

Posted 2 months ago #
  15. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, if you buy a Pete and it sucks, suck it up buttercup. [:puffy:]

When you're right, you're right. I can't argue with it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's okay, Cosmic ... I'm just a little sensitive touchy about my fries.

Posted 2 months ago #
  17. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Warren and bassbug, it's no secret, only personal experience. I have found 3 makers whose pipes I've had several of, that simply have never let me down in terms of quality. Again, several of each. Some I don't have anymore because my preferences of size or shape have changed, but never due to a quality issue. I have found my preferred Carver and only buy his pipes now. They don't cost much more than a mid-grade Peterson, about the same as a higher end one, and he has never delivered anything short of perfection to me. Why would I buy anything else?

Posted 2 months ago #
  18. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

as classless as your offer

Well, my goodness. I make an entrepreneurial offer without dissing anyone and I'm class-less.

Like I said, this is the internet and its oh so easy to trash talk, but by all means carry on, I have a way thicker skin than that

Posted 2 months ago #
  19. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tend to agree with Cosmic. But, I generally don't read posts complaining about pipes one has purchased. There is nothing I can do about it so, why should I care. Secondly so many of the "poorly drilled", stained bowl, stain coming off, etc. are complaints best reported to the seller or the manufacturer. It's not news that some pipes by various manufacturers will have a defect. Neither is it news that what some perceive as a poor drilling is, in fact, exactly what was intended by the manufacturer and/or dictated by the shape.

Smokers are dealing with tools carved from organic matter, dyes, bowl coatings, bit feel, and all the other variables
    when humans are involved dictate some of the tools will have problems. With the exception of those members here representing vendors or manufacturers none of us can help rectify your problem. If you have a pipe you feel is defective take it up with the vendor or manufacturer first. Most of us don't care about your problem unless we can find something humorous in it. Then ... it's Katy bar the door ... pile on time.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  20. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just so everyone knows, I really could not care less what pipes anyone likes or dislikes. Your money, your preference and I did not for a moment suggest that anyone has to sell me their pipes, but if anyone does have one or more that they are so unhappy with, I'll gladly give them back a fraction of the cost...better than nothing, isn't it?

Posted 2 months ago #
  21. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like your attitude "bassbug."

Posted 2 months ago #
  22. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What a sad thread.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 months ago #
  23. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey, and if you get a few Petes on the cheap... badabing badaboom, all the better, ammiright?

Posted 2 months ago #
  24. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hell warren, I just don't get why some people get so worked up over crap like this.

In my line of work, if I took everything personally I would have weekly ulcers and blood pressure that would strain a fire hose.

Posted 2 months ago #
  25. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You got it cosmic. Who doesn't like to get a bargain? Like you said, "got a crap pipe? suck it up, shit happens"

Posted 2 months ago #
  26. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do agree with Cosmic that such threads accomplish little and are ultimately tedious. Typically, they are started by folks who have a few Petes with 1 or more being not up to snuff for them, at times due to mistakes by the smoker as noted in this thread, followed by folks responding who've bought far more Petes who then say that such experiences are in the minority.

Posted 2 months ago #
  27. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

I’ve had my heart set on a pteterson summertime. 106 straight pot. Something about it speaks to me. Now I’m wondering if I should find something else. Anyone think of a colorful not too hokey pipe in the $85 to $125 range. Allthough I bet some will argue a Blue and Yellow pipe is hokey in any way, shape or form.

Posted 2 months ago #
  28. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jttnk, buy the pipe.

These threads are fucking ridiculous.

I would love some real empirical evidence. All these anecdotal "facts" are bizarre.

Posted 2 months ago #
  29. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought a pair of Fruit of The Loom brand briefs once. After eating some Tex-mex one evening, I blew a hole right through the ass end of them. I'm never buying another pair of Fruit of The Looms... Their pretty crappy underwear.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 months ago #
  30. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

My BC bulldog is drilled to high. It’s hit or miss, usually miss if it will pass a pipe cleaner.. still a great looking and descent smoking pipe. So what the hell. Thanks Ash, I needed that!

Posted 2 months ago #
  31. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

Were they fruit of the loom made in Ireland? Kiddding. I’m buying the damn thing.

Posted 2 months ago #
  32. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Were they fruit of the loom made in Ireland?
    England I think. They have a brown dot. Enjoy that Peterson

Posted 2 months ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

elpfeife

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You really crack me up at times, Anthony.

Posted 2 months ago #
  34. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You really crack me up at times, Anthony.
    like a plumber

Posted 2 months ago #
  35. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

@Bassbug, if you pay 30$, as what smokingpipes would pay, then we have a deal.

@Irishearl, I don't even use spit for cleaning, just a dry tissue. It is enough to take off the dye from the rim of my Sherlock Watson The whistling bulldog doesn't have this issue.

I'm not an anti-Peterson guy, I wanted these pipes so badly (and much more Petersons) but unfortunately I need to give up on those plans as the quality of my current petes is not as what I expect from a pipe. Can you imagine how annoying is to puff on a constantly whistling pipe? Doesn't matter that I made some serious carvings in/on the stem, it is still the same cr@p. Wrong drilling, whistling, low-quality dying - these are acceptable from a basket pipe. Maybe a pear wood basket pipe, for 3€. But not from one of the biggest names in the "pipe industry" for 100€+. I think all of us can agree on that.

Posted 2 months ago #
  36. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whistling? You mean like a flute? With actual real tobacco packed in the bowl?

1. You gotta move a fair amount of air for anything to whistle. Is it possible;e you're puffing a little too hard?

2. The air has to go somewhere to create a whistle, and in this case its going into your mouth. Must be pretty loud to bother you.

3. I don't see how carving the stem would fix any sort of whistling effect

4. I'd consider $30 depending on what the pipe is.

Posted 2 months ago #
  37. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

@Bassbug,

These edges can cause whistling, so I carved the edges. It helped a little bit, maybe the sound is not that sharp as it was before, but as it heats up, the sound becomes louder. When I puff gently, it whistles gently when I puff hard, it whistles louder. I have never had any similar problems with any other of my pipes and I'm a pipe smoker for 15 years now. I had very cheap basket pipes for the first 10 years of my pipe smoking but none of them had a problem like this. Maybe I'm the problem, I don't know but I think it is better to say goodbye to each other with this pipe as we are not compatible it seems.

I will try to post a picture about the pipe during the weekend.

Posted 2 months ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will try to post a picture about the pipe during the weekend.

Picture, hell. Post a video, or at the least an audio clip. I want to hear the whistle.

Does the tune vary by the blend of tobacco you're smoking? Do you get White Christmas with Christmas Cheer? Do the Frog Morton blends evoke Froggy went a-courtin'? Do you hear Disney's Haunted Mansion theme when you're smoking C&D's Haunted Bookshop? Back in the day you'd have been a shoe-in for Letterman. Do you have an agent?

Posted 2 months ago #
  39. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

@jguss, Very clever question(s). My answer is: nope.

Posted 2 months ago #
  40. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess I just don't get it.

My understanding is that in order to create a whistle air has to travel past a hole at an angle. Some of it goes over the hole while some of it goes into the hole, not all of it straight into the hole.

Posted 2 months ago #
  41. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

@Bassbug, here is another thread about it, where I found the picture as well http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/stem-whistling
    Maybe they described it better, so it is easier to understand. English is not my mother tongue, so it can be my fault.

Posted 2 months ago #
  42. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There have been several whistling pipe threads since I have been here. It doesn't seem to be that rare.

Posted 2 months ago #
  43. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the encouragement Ash and Anthony, the 606 (corrected from earlier mistyped model) is on its way.

Along with my first tins of Gas Light, Key Largo and... permission to come aboard...Black Frigate.

Posted 2 months ago #
  44. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations! And enjoy the heck out of it!

Let us know how that Black Frigate is too. Welcome aboard!

Posted 2 months ago #
  45. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Jttnk,Those are good pipes, congrats I have had one of them Ashfords 606 but unfortunately the initial weight of it did not agree with me so I went ahead and sold it after some use,it smoked great no complain on that,though few fills were visible on the bowl surface.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 months ago #
  46. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

Thanks Paul. I’m not much of a clencher, so weight should be okay.

Posted 2 months ago #
  47. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I had problems with Petersons, especially a high end pipe, it would put me off. Bad drilling, chronic whistling or gurgling, stain in the bowl, bubbly finish, etc. etc. Mine have been work horses, so I count myself lucky. I hope Pete can bring its pipes to this standard and keep them there, since they are satisfying when done right, the way they can be.

Posted 2 months ago #
  48. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, mso, since I've never had a problematic Pete, I've had no reason to concern myself with their quality. I do think, as I noted earlier in this thread, that some of the anti-Pete hype is a tendency for folks fairly new to Peterson to quickly carp in public about some purported bad apple they got due to the existing anti-hype. We have a recent thread extolling the virtues of another lower cost maker in which some commented on bad drilling and stain wearing off quickly on some of them. If this would have been a Peterson pipe they were commenting on, the anti's would have jumped all over it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  49. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

I decided to sell my Peterson bulldog (it is already on its way), but not my Sherlock Watson (yet). It is a collector's piece and I wanted it so much that I can't say goodbye to it. But as I don't smoke it at all, it is quite frustrating to even look at it. Sad.

Posted 2 months ago #
  50. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Daniel7, I think if You need some repairs or corrections to be made for Your pipes,then allow me to bring to your attention this German-based fachmann'Janezen-Pfeifen.de)Vielen Dank,

Posted 2 months ago #
  51. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

@Paul, thank you, I'm checking it, but in this case William's estate briars is more useful

Posted 2 months ago #
  52. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Daniel7, Oh Yes,I posted that Janzen pfeifen for future possible reference since as far as I know we ain't got not much of repair services left here in EU,outfits which are up to tasks I mean,,

Posted 2 months ago #
  53. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

An outpouring on this subject, 122 posts in a week. Love 'em, hate 'em, people have feelings about Peterson pipes.

Posted 2 months ago #
  54. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

I think some folks like myself have posted about issues with Peterson’s because they are genuinely seeking advice from more experienced pipe smokers in an effort to become informed on what is or isn’t kosher regarding pipe construction, it’s not always a bitch fest. The fact that we have to question this in the first place probably says a lot, but regardless... I will say that my Pete’s that have gurgled or otherwise smoked weird initially have actually made me a better pipe smoker. When I first started, I smoked way too hard because my pipe (a Peterson System Standard 313, I might add) would take it without skipping a beat and I didn’t know any better.

My Peterson’s that won’t take a rip-roaring smoke without gurgling have taught me to be more restrained and thoughtful in my approach to smoking, and have been invaluable to my learning experience. Now my pipes rarely gurgle, and I’m grateful for the knowledge I’ve gained by working through the minor issues I’ve encountered with them. I think you can find duds with every factory made brand... so if it speaks to you and you enjoy owning it I say figure out how to make it work for you and smoke that shit up. I agree that they are love/hate pipes, and some of them aren’t perfect, but I smoke my Peterson’s proudly.

“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  55. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just picked up two new Peterson's, a 120 Ebony Spigot and a 106 Kildare sandblasted. Smoking the Spigot now and its maiden bowl of University Flake is firing on all cylinders.

The only issue between these two is the spigot had a little of the bowl coating covering the draft hole. Otherise, both are totally fine.

Michael
    Posted 2 months ago #
  56. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I owe Pete a good word - in the past I was always chiming in with the bad word. I had to have one and tried 4 times. I smoked one that had a deep well and I hated/sold it, returned 3 more for crap workmanship. So I gave up. After Laudisi bought them I gave it a year or ever how long it's been and tried again.

Just received a beautiful XL315. It wasn't dipped, it looks great, and it's drilled decently (slightly off center, but no well). It smokes great! I love it.

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 2 months ago #
  57. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^Congrats on your new Petersons, guys. Enjoy the heck out of them!

Posted 2 months ago #
  58. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a lot of Petes. I have never had any issues with them, regardless of where they land on the cost spectrum. I guess I am just lucky.

Posted 2 months ago #
  59. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

Maiden voyage with Pete 606 Summertime. Love this pipe. I think it’s going to just get better! Let ve the fun colors. While not traditional, I dig it.

Cheers! Key largo for the first run. Good will probably be better in a month or 12.

Posted 2 months ago #
  60. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm glad I've been lucky with Petes because their stocky designs really speak to me. Few brands are so readily recognizable.

Posted 2 months ago #
  61. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

I'm glad I've been lucky with Petes because their stocky designs really speak to me. Few brands are so readily recognizable.

This is why I'm very sad about it, I like their designs so much, their bulldog, billiard, rhodesian, apple, barrel and so many others are the best looking pipes on the market. But what to do with a fabolous-looking pipe when it whistles and gurgles so badly that makes it unenjoyable at all.
    Even though I have only bad experiences with them, I'm still checking their pipes every day and I still want to buy more from them. After that my brain intervenes and tells me not to do - very frustrating.

Posted 2 months ago #
  62. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

Getting back around to my last post... Peterson 606 is fantastic. Black Frigate!!!! Is awesome I totally get why ye loves it argghhhh. I’m onboard.

Posted 1 month ago #
  63. maxx

maxx

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve got two - a B5 Bent Bulldog and a Billiard. They were my first two pipes. The Bulldog is trouble free. The Billiard’s stem has gotten loose. The pipes don’t smoke any worse than my others. Maybe I lack discernment. None of my pipes whistle or gurgle or hum. My favorite pipe is a Savinelli Bent Dublin. My most expensive is a Radice Rind Pot (G). I’d buy another Peterson.

"Curiosity is one of the most permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect."
    ~ Samuel Johnson ~
    Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   dmcmtk, cdmjr, pianopuffer, bushpipe81, kilroyjune6