Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Peterson Pipes - How Satisfied Are You with Them?

(133 posts)
  1. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

I have only two Petersons, a bulldog Donegal rocky and a Sherlock series smooth Watson. The reason why I'm writing this post is that I can't say that I'm satisfied with the quality of these pipes.
    1) Start with the bulldog. I love the shape. I think Peterson makes the most beautiful bulldog pipes out there. And I think that's all the pluses I can tell about it. It whistles when I smoke it - I carved the stem how it shouldn't whistle, carved all the edges, but I still can hear it. Terribly annoying, I have no more ideas what to do about it. It also doesn't give a nice smoke, somehow it generates too much moisture. In smoking experience I can compare it to my Albanian "Toscana" (B-brand of Lorenzo), which is more than... surprising.
    2) Sherlock Watson (full bent rhodesian). This one is an expensive one. I know, there are much more expensive pipes, but it is at the higher end of Peterson's product range. Still, it doesn't give a nice smoke and it is a little bit overdrilled, so there is always some tobacco remaining at the bottom unburned, plus thanks to this, it collects wet there, so it is gurgling even with the most careful puffing and dry tobacco. But all-in-all, I like this pipe, it looks nice as well, I just expected more from it.
    I have never had any similar problems with Savinellis. My Ghibli is the most wonderful smoker ever, it is just perfect from the first moment. Just next to this Ghibli, there is my Winsløw Crown 200, which is also perfect in all aspects. I have some other, cheaper Savinellis as well but they are also fine.
    I bought both Petersons in the last one year (from UK-based Smoke King) so they should be after the so-called "quality check problems era". Maybe I'm just very unlucky, or my standards were too high, but I'm quite unsure if I will buy any more Peterson pipes even though I really love the look of some of their pipes. Especially when there are many other manufacturers in the same price range with better products.
    What is your opinion? Should I give Peterson one more chance in the future or they are not among the best pipemakers anymore?

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only have one modern Peterson, and it is a great pipe. There are a few Peterson diehards on here, but just as many who will never get one again based on bad experiences. It's a tough question. I think it really just comes down to the individual pipe. It stinks that both of yours aren't up to snuff though.

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

What is your opinion?

In my experience buying a Peterson is a lottery and not one I'm prepared to play anymore. They seem to have a lot of unlucky customers and have been an unlucky customer twice out of three purchases.

Should I give Peterson one more chance in the future or they are not among the best pipemakers anymore?

I won't be buying another Peterson IMO there are better pipemakers for the same money. If you want to buy another Peterson then buy from a shop where you can at least inspect the pipe first.

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimbiker

Login to Send PM

Had a Dublin 305 9mm a couple of months ago, no problems at all so far Daniel.

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your answers. It seems that I'm not lucky with them. But as you are saying Tavol, there are more reliable pipe makers, so it is not really worth to gamble with Peterson. Maybe I should check some more producers - recently I've started to be interested in Brebbia pipes. Do you have any experience with those?

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have three Peterson pipes. One is a Peterson premier system pipe from 1975, a Peterson standard system pipe from the late forties and a pipenof the year from 2003. All excellent pipes. I do not think I would buy a modern Peterson unless it really called to me.

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two. The first is a Peterson Kapp-Royal full bent with IRC stamped on the stem. The second is a Peterson Fermoy 80s I got as a birthday present in January from my wife. Neither will pass a pipe cleaner but other than that they are both good smokers. The drilling is high on the 80s but I've been told that was to provide a small well like on a system pipe for moisture to collect in.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 4 months ago #
  8. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a few Peterson's, all but one being pre-republic, and that one is a Rosslare Royal Irish. I find it to be a great smoking pipes with no issues at all. However, for me nothing smokes better than my Castello, or Ser Jacopo pipes.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  9. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Sean: I believe that old Petersons are good smokers, they earned their fame somehow.

PappyMac: High drilling explained as it is like that for a reason? That's strange. It collects moisture indeed, like a well but because of that mine is gurgling and I can't smoke tobacco properly - I mean I can't burn 100% of the filled amount.

Orley: I will buy Castello one day, I haven't heard any bad things about those.

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

Daniel, I bought my first and only Peterson a few months ago--a new-production Aran--and it is the worst smoker on my roster. I'd give it away except that I don't think anyone would want it. It gurgles and collects moisture worse than any other I own, it collects huge pieces of unsmoked tobacco that get stuck to the chamber pre-treatment, and when I try to lightly clean the rim with a q-tip, the stain comes off. I personally will not be giving them another chance.

Non Serviam
    Posted 4 months ago #
  11. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

...when I try to lightly clean the rim with a q-tip, the stain comes off.

Yes, same happens with the Sherlock Watson. But anyway, I'm sorry that you have been also scammed by them.

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Honestly, I’ve never had a single problem with my Peterson pipes but I haven’t bought one for 9 years. I only have 5 of them but all 5 smoke great.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

In a similar price-range, if you're looking for an unsmoked pipe, I give Blakemar Briars my highest recommendation. Mike is a stellar craftsman. Also, I bought a similarly priced Chacom Alpina not long ago that smokes beautifully, and Ropp is quite good too, on the cheaper end.

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a few and they all have problems. Several problems and I don't believe I will buy anymore. When I compare the build quality, even of my more expensive ones vs something from a company like Savinelli that cost half the price the quality is not even close.

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Aran 69 was a bit finicky for a while, I made some minor changes to my technique and finally figured out how to smoke it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

I have many Petersons - 150 or so. I ordered two Deluxe from England today ( befor Brexit ).

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two Petersons (bent Dracula 01 & Donegal Rocky Canadian). I believe, from all the reviews I read on the forums, that their a love it or hate it brand. I'm sort of in the middle. The Dracula I have is drilled high on the shank. The Canadian is drilled okay, but it doesn't ring any bells. If I were to buy another Peterson, it would be a straight since the drilling seems to not be an issue with straights. Given my choice I'd pick a Savinelli any day of the week.

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

The drilling is high on the 80s but I've been told that was to provide a small well like on a system pipe for moisture to collect in.

I have two 80s, one is drilled high and one is drill to the bottom of the bowl.

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex

Login to Send PM

My only Pete is a Fermoy, and while I love the shape (03), the lacquer finish is certainly a turnoff. I've been thinking of trying a more expensive line, but waiting for the Peterson diehards here to confirm that Laudisi has indeed advanced QC.

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The majority of pipes, briars, I own seem to be Peterson. Not a clunker in the bunch. It's been quite a few years since I've been in a shop and looked at the pipes on display though.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  21. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, Daniel, don't buy any more Petes. But also don't keep whinging about it.

I have a half dozen Petes. All good smokers. One has way too many fills.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  22. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 15 Petes. Most were bought new from 2013 to present. Some are on the lower end, such as the annual Saint Patrick's Day pipes, others are on the middle to higher end. I have no major complaints with any of them. I have a few bents that don't pass a cleaner easily, but that's a price you pay with many bents. Often times a slight bend in the very tip of the cleaner fixes that issue. If it's a spigot or military mount, it doesn't matter anyway as those are designed to be able to remove the stem while the pipe is still warm. My Petes all smoke great, most smoking great from the very first smoke, which is why I don't understand the extremely long break in period some people talk about. I will definitely buy more Peterson pipes and I have plans to do so.

[/quote] but waiting for the Peterson diehards here to confirm that Laudisi has indeed advanced QC.[quote]I think it will take some time to weed out all the pipes still on the market that may have QC issues while new Laudisi era pipes slowly take their place. From what I understand (I've read somewhere), Peterson produces pipe in the hundreds of thousands annually. Also, that's a lot of pipes, so there are bound to be some lemons in the mix. My only complaint is the new bowl coating they seem to be using on some of the new pipes. I've only one with the coating, but from photos, it appears the new coating is also used on the Aran with the new improved rustication. The new coating is crap. It's a minor issue for me, because it's easily removed, but I think if they're going to use a coating, they should stick with the old one.

Also, there is the issue with replacement stems for system pipes. I know of a few issues both from this forum and on the Facebook groups of someone needing a new stem for their system pipe. You used to be able to purchase replacement stems, and although they can still occasionally be found if you search like a madman, they are extremely hard to find, and there are different sizes for different pipes, so finding one is difficult to say the least. Best option given to most people by Laudisi or Peterson of Dublin is to send the pipe back to have it shipped back to Sallynoggin, and fitted with a new stem, at the cost of 50+ U.S. dollars. I love Laudisi, and I love Peterson, but they are seriously dropping the ball on that matter. It should never cost half or more the cost of a pipe to get a new stem when the original was faulty. GIVE THESE CUSTOMERS A NEW STEM, PETERSON AND LAUDISI!!!

That said, however, I've had no issues, and I'm happy with my purchases and will continue to purchase more.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 4 months ago #
  23. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Over the years I have had quite a few Petersons, with older ones I haven't encountering any issues whereas with the newer produced mid price range pipes, all I can say its a bit of a lottery, it' would be advisable to have them inspected whether by the reputable tobacconist who does understand something in pipes or if possible persoinally .

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 4 months ago #
  24. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've bought or been gifted with all of my Petersons new over the past ten years or so. Most of mine are mid-range pipes, no extra high end, no System pipes, only one P-Lip. All of mine have come to me properly drilled, with no stain in the bowl, and only one rusticated author has needed time to break in, and that one did just fine over time. I was concerned to hear about quality control problems in past years, but I have been entirely (annoyingly?) satisfied. I simply cannot complain. I received a rusticated Donegal B10 briar Calabash for Christmas and it is going great. With Petes, it has been the luck of the Irish for me.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peterson is well known for their pathetic quality control. I would send your pipes back to Peterson and ask them to fix them. Now that SP owns Peterson, I would be amazed if they didn't fix your pipes.
    I bought one Peterson early in my pipe career and it was a piece of shit.

Harris
    Posted 4 months ago #
  26. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Cigarmaster, 'Peterson's is well known for them pathetic quality control''who could have said this better,lol

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Okay, these are just my own thoughts and opinions and I truly am not trying to offend anyone, but...
    I have no idea why anybody still buys these things. From what I gather, it's usually because of great marketing. Series pipes (Sherlock Holmes Collection...), yearly pipes (St Patrick's Day...), and so forth, can be seductive, or they like the Irish connection I guess. I have seen the occasional complaint about other brands of pipes, but nowhere near the amount of complaints about Peterson pipes. From dip-staining, poor drilling, gurgling, bubbling and peeling finish, stained fingers, the list goes on and on. There are so many other (better) options out there in every price range! Personally, I find them ugly as well, too bulky, poor fit and finish, but I know this is purely subjective, and many others disagree. To each their own. I am speaking of the modern incarnation, not the older Petes, about which I've always heard great things . Other than genius marketing, I truly don't know how they stay in business. Sorry for the rant, but this subject just fires me up. I know many folks love their Petersons. Maybe I'm missing something, but I got rid of my last Pete years ago and have sworn off them forever. Again, sorry if I hurt some feelings here.

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No hurt feelings at all. I just disagree with much of what you've written. I love my Petes, but I also buy with great care.

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just wonder how many people have spent 400 to 800 dollars on a Dunhill that ended up being a crappy pipe, but they never say anything because they're embarrassed to admit their "dunny" they spent so much on was crap. I know they're out there too, I've seen a story pop up from time to time. Same with most factory produced pipes. Except maybe Stanwell. I honestly don't recall ever hearing about a bad Stanwell. Anyone?

Posted 4 months ago #
  30. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Someone posted recently about a Stanwell that gurgles, but I agree, Stanwell makes an excellent pipes. The gurgle was probably more tobacco related.

Posted 4 months ago #
  31. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no idea why anybody still buys these things

I buy Pete's because they smoke great. I also don't bitch and moan over slight imperfections or perceived internet rage perfections.

I don't buy Savinelli pipes because I think they're dumpster fires.

I don't buy Stanwells, because they are predominantly Danish shapes. Not my vibe.

I am concerned why someone would care what I smoke or if my pipe is right for them.

Who gives a shit, it's my pipe.

Did I strike the correct harmony of deceptive brotherhood?

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 4 months ago #
  32. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

I have an estate Stanwell (one of several) that draws weirdly and semi-whistles, but it's so beautiful and well-proportioned that I just pretend it's not happening. My working theory is that someone (post-production) messed with the airway and did it badly. One of these days I might take some friction to the stem, or maybe not.

Posted 4 months ago #
  33. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a few Petes and plan to continue purchasing if the fancy strikes me.
    I bought my first Pete in 1983. One of the Mark Twain 1980s version. It is a major, major fine smoking instrument. I also purchased one of the Anniversary Pipes, which also smokes very well indeed.
    However, I also fell for the Aran new sandblast Prince hype and purchased a 406 from SP.com. It is a disappointment, my very first with Peterson.The smallish bowl has some sort of goop coating at the bottom of the bowl near the air hole. Not good.
    But, let the buyer beware, or to be poetic, Caveat emptor!

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 4 months ago #
  34. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

I've got 22 Petes. All bought in the last 3 years and they range from basic Aran 69 (great for lunting), the annual series pipes through to a couple spigots (including a spigot system) and a couple of system pipes. As far as I am concerned all them are good smokers and my biggest problem with them is deciding which ones will be in use for any given day. Will buy more; in fact 2 have just cleared customs in Sydney and should be with me this Friday (a new rusticated Aran and a Calabash).

Posted 4 months ago #
  35. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Given my choice I'd pick a Savinelli any day of the week.
    YES! But as always, smoke what ya like, like what ya smoke...

"the weez"...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  36. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

I realize I'm not in the same league with some of you guys, but I have 3 Petes, all older estate pipes and all standard systems. After a little spit and polish, they look great and smoke very well. They are among my favorites. Maybe that is one advantage of buying older Petersons. I also have some Savinellis and a couple of Stanwells and I agree that they are very fine smokers.

Posted 4 months ago #
  37. rfernand

r

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a lot of Peterson’s. I have had 3 minor issues:

(1) A B11 that can get a bit moist if I pack “normal”. This is due to the unorthodox design, as it forces the hole to come in at a high angle. I loosely pack aromatics in there and enjoy.
    (2) A St. Patrick’s 2017 shows cosmetic issues on the rim (the varnish bubbles up). This is my “careless smoke” pipe, so not a big deal.
    (3) A deluxe 1S from the 80s has its silver ring loose. I’m too lazy to glue it back.

Dunhill will return.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  38. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I buy a Peterson, I know there might be some issues so I make sure to give the pipe a good going over before I ask for a refund. I've never had to ask for a refund on a Peterson. If it is not up to my terms on how it should smoke, then I gift or trade it in. I have 17 and they all get smoked weekly.

I avoid buying smooth Petersons and stick with sandblasts. This helps with the fills not being obvious plus the have a great sandblast. Also have a nickel mounted 106 that whistles a bit. I just pack it tighter than normal, but it's such a great smoking pipe, I won't allow this to detract.

So yeah, they have their imperfections but imo they offer a great smoke at a good price. I expect there may be minor issues and this does not bother me as long as the pipe smokes good. If I want a pipe that has little to no imperfections, I go for an artisanal piece.

I like Stanwells and have owned a couple. I've had a couple dud Dunhill's as well; never did like Savinelli. It seems if you like Savinelli you don't like Peterson and vice versa. lol

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  39. cohibajoe

cohibajoe

Login to Send PM

It's a mixed bag as to QC. I picked up 6 Total 2017, 2018 Christmas and 2016, 2018 St. Pats for $65-80 when 25%
    pop's up every now and then. For that price I am good and done with Peterson.

Posted 4 months ago #
  40. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It seems if you like Savinelli you don't like Peterson and vice versa. lol
    Not necessarily. I'm a big fan of the Savinelli 320. They are a fantastic smoking machine.

Posted 4 months ago #
  41. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

These sort of Peterson threads always mystify me. First thread I ever started here was that I've never had a bad Pete and I've been buying them for 15-20 years. Me,too-only non-Peterson pipe I've bought in the past 10 years was a 320, Anthony.

Posted 4 months ago #
  42. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

These threads are invariably popcorn material.

Only thing I can conclude is that Peterson pipes are a crapshoot. Given MY luck, I should stay away, I guess.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  43. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I own 4 Petes, all standard system pipes ranging from pre republic to 2015. They all smoke great. I would not hesitate to buy more if I was in the market.

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 4 months ago #
  44. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

These sort of Peterson threads always mystify me. First thread I ever started here was that I've never had a bad Pete and I've been buying them for 15-20 years.

I don't know, maybe just my standards don't fit with Peterson pipes or my expectations were too high. I always wanted to buy a Peterson but I have never had a chance in the last 15 years as I never had the money - high school, university, underpaid jobs, buying car, house, etc. And now that I finally have money for my most precious hobby, I bought two of my most-wanted pipe brand and my favourite shapes. Result: bitter disappointment. Now maybe you can imagine the situation and why I felt that I need to write about it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  45. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He posed the question and I answered it honestly from my own point of view. No offense intended. Smoke what you like... and I will, too. I'm not loaded. I cant afford to spend that kind of money on a crap shoot. When I do spend money on a pipe, I want to KNOW it is going to be superb.

Posted 4 months ago #
  46. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Me,too-only non-Peterson pipe I've bought in the past 10 years was a 320, Anthony.
    Big bowl, thick shank... it's like the Savinelli that wants to be a Peterson

Posted 4 months ago #
  47. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I owned two, and sold both of them.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  48. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

I owned two, and sold both of them.

I'm considering that too. Where is it the best to sell them? Smokingpipes.com or somewhere else? I need to send them from Iceland.

Posted 4 months ago #
  49. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yes, I actually "traded" mine to SP.com for in store credit on pipe tobacco. Not sure about out of country though. Just contact them, they will be very helpful.

Posted 4 months ago #
  50. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Yes, I actually "traded" mine to SP.com for in store credit on pipe tobacco. Not sure about out of country though. Just contact them, they will be very helpful.

Thank you for the info, I have already contacted them. Now let's hope for the best.

Posted 4 months ago #
  51. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry about your experience with the Pete’s Daniel. If you get a good trade in at smoking pipes, consider picking up an old Peterson. Age is negotiable but if you can find a nice pre republic pipe, get it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  52. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not pre republic but a nice looking pipe from the 70’s
    https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/ireland/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=307895

Posted 4 months ago #
  53. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got a couple dozen Pete System pipes in various trim levels over the last 20 years or so. I guess I've been lucky. Apart from one dipstained smooth Deluxe less than two years old (*gasp!) that I fixed by sanding the inside of the chamber (nice smoker now), I've been pleased with the fleet.

Except maybe Stanwell. I honestly don't recall ever hearing about a bad Stanwell. Anyone?

I'm no help here. I've yet to find fault in any Stanwell I've owned, Danish or Italian made. All very good smokers.

Posted 4 months ago #
  54. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two - a Christmas 2014 and a Christmas 2015 (my wife was on a kick till I told her to stop).

Both needed extra time to break in.
    The 2014 was dip stained and tasted horrible.

Both looked really nice, until I listened to someone on the forums and tried hot water rinsing the 2015. It took away some of the finish and exposed a couple large fills that really stand out now.

I wouldn't buy another.

Posted 4 months ago #
  55. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So which bent Pete is your favorite? I have yet to own a new pipe and I think this might be a good time to grab a Pete! Especially with the new owners.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  56. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Own 4 & like them a lot.

Posted 4 months ago #
  57. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not loaded. I cant afford to spend that kind of money on a crap shoot. When I do spend money on a pipe, I want to KNOW it is going to be superb.

Likewise. I'm too poor to spend my money on junk.

Not to say ALL Petersons are junk, but apparently there's quite a large portion that are. Lacking the luck of the Irish (pun intended) it's just not wise for me to take the chance, chiefly when there are so many other superb choices out there.

Posted 4 months ago #
  58. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I do spend money on a pipe, I want to KNOW it is going to be superb.

Good luck with that.

I'll let you search for posts that decry poor smoking "premium" pipes

Posted 4 months ago #
  59. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Of course, everyone has their right to opinions and I'm sure that some have had less than stellar experience with Peterson pipes, just as other have had with other brands but you really had to take a step back and ask....

Does any company stay in business for over 150 years, in an industry where the end user is usually quite savvy, by producing "quite a large portion" of defective product?

Posted 4 months ago #
  60. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I do spend money on a pipe, I want to KNOW it is going to be superb.

How in the world would you know how well a pipe smokes, no matter the cost, until you've run a few bowls through it. Please share your secret with us.

Posted 4 months ago #
  61. rfernand

r

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I may have done a disservice by only pointing out the minor issues I’ve encountered.

Most of my Peterson’s smoke very well without issues. A few (a 1S, a POY 2017, two Twain’s, a Darwin, and a Founder’s Edition) are remarkably sweet, superb smokers.

Posted 4 months ago #
  62. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Does any company stay in business for over 150 years, in an industry where the end user is usually quite savvy, by producing "quite a large portion" of defective product?

I'm sure that they produced really good products in the past. And I hope that they will do so in the future as well. But you know, I have two new pipes from them, one is from their higher grades and I can enjoy neither of them. So I feel myself a little bit scammed. This is why I will spend my money on other producers' products.

Posted 4 months ago #
  63. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

Of course, everyone has their right to opinions and I'm sure that some have had less than stellar experience with Peterson pipes, just as other have had with other brands but you really had to take a step back and ask....

I wonder the same thing. We have threads like this with lots of posters that criticize Peterson's QC a few times a year but yet we don't appear to have anywhere near as many threads complaining about other companies QC.

Posted 4 months ago #
  64. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I focus on the older, higher grade Petersons and find those to be wonderful smokers.

I'm curious as to what Laudisi does with the brand moving forward. In the last decade the previous owners seem to have made a lot of misteps, particularly in the quality department.

Al

Posted 4 months ago #
  65. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd add relative to both the OP and another comment: don't try to clean your pipe rims with anything stronger than spit. If you do, you can lose stain. I apply spit with a tissue after every use and it takes off the accumulated tar. Do not wait til it builds up or you could go dry trying to spit clean it. Do not use hot water on the outside of your pipe. Whether Peterson tends to have more fills than other factory pipes is an open question. Half my Petes are smooth finish including some lower end models and none have fills, though am probably lucky. My biggest fills are on a Jobey and a Sav. The pipe with the most fills is a Willmer, though they are pinpoint and so well disguised you really have to look to find them. Heck, even my 1900 S&G bulldog has a fill. Now I don't own any newer than 2017 and it sounds like the bowl coating most recently used is a pain. As far as how other brand's QC doesn't get complained about here, I do wonder if that's not because of better QC elsewhere but rather because of a tendency for folks to like to single out Peterson because of how folks have heard right or wrong that there is a Pete QC issue and when they have had one they immediately like to gripe about it on forums.

Posted 4 months ago #
  66. User has not uploaded an avatar

headhunter

Login to Send PM

I only have 1......that speaks volumes.

Posted 4 months ago #
  67. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't do much with the Facebook pipe forums, but I do see them when I scroll through, and every now and then I will see someone post... "I just got a Peterson, and it works!! Wow!"
    So, now Petersons are like ordering something through a McDonalds Drive Thru window... "Yeh!!! I actually got what I ordered!!! Woohoo!"

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  68. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am finally boxing pipes I don’t smoke, Peterson’s will be in box.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 4 months ago #
  69. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't do much with the Facebook pipe forums, but I do see them when I scroll through, and every now and then I will see someone post... "I just got a Peterson, and it works!! Wow!"
    So, now Petersons are like ordering something through a McDonalds Drive Thru window... "Yeh!!! I actually got what I ordered!!! Woohoo!"

- Hyperbolic much?

Posted 4 months ago #
  70. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK....lets see just how serious the anti Peterson guys are.

I'm willing to buy every single shitty Peterson you have for $10 a piece. Better than having them just sit there and you're never going to smoke them, no?

Posted 4 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   64alex, lawdawg, donjgiles, monkeylyf