PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I don't know much about Peterson pipes except what I can read online. I got my first Peterson since I sold most of my pipes in the 1990's. Picked this one up this a few days ago for a cheap price, but can't seem to figure out what its age is, or even what model it is. I can't seem to find anything about a Peterson called a "flat grip", with a p-lip. From the stampings I only seem to be able to figure it is a pre-republic pipe, don't know if it is from the 1922-1937 era, or from about 1947-1949 time. The shape is still currently made I see, but I don't know much else about it. It was really clean, like it had only been smoked a little bit, and it only needed a little cleaning and buffing with some carnauba wax.

Any Peterson smokers have any ideas about this pipe? Gonna load it up with some Petersons Deluxe Mixture tomorrow and smoke it in the house, cause it's gonna be toooo damn cold to sit on the porch!

img_0125-600x450.jpg
img_0126-600x450.jpg
img_0124-600x450.jpg
img_0123-600x450.jpg

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
It is a "pre-republic" having inline block letters for the COM stamping which dates it from 1947 to 1949 according to most references. I put pre-republic in quotes because there is some evidence to suggest that this particular stamping was still being used well into the 1960's. I collect Peterson pipes and I've seen far more "pre-republics" with this style of COM stamping than any of the other pre-republic stampings combined. It's the second most commonly seen COM stamp after MADE IN THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND. It just seems unlikely that Peterson made such a large number of pipes between 1947 and 1949.
This is a Peterson line I've not encountered before. You may want to check out Jim Lilley's excellent Peterson pipe reference on Pipedia.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Well I've read all I can find online, including Jim Lilley's information, and it seems that the info indicates that pre-republic pipes that have the block type COM stamp like this pipe are either pre-war or post war, as the the latter can have the "Made In Ireland" stamped in one line or two. So clear as mud, particularly because of the type of "P" used in the name. To me it seems more likely that this pipe was made between 1947-1949. Ultimately it doesn't make that much difference to me as I don't collect Petersons, but I was curious about the "Flat Grip" name, having never seen it before. I did notice that Dr. Plumb pipes had a Flat Grip pipe line, but the designation is hyphenated and without quotation marks. So who knows....

The only thing to really come out of me getting this Peterson pipe is that it reminded me that I don't really like the P-lip too much. Nice pipe though, so I'll keep giving a try from time to time. :puffpipe:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe I'm not looking at the right retail sites, but I don't see this pipe in current production -- certainly Peterson

does straight apple style, but they seem heftier, and I'm not sure I've seen them with a saddle stem, especially not

this trim a cut. Maybe I'm just so numb by the time I get to the bottom of multiple Peterson web pages that I'm

not bringing this up on my memory tape. The Peterson and Savenelli pages on some online retailers are like an

endless tunnel. The founder of Costco said one of his merchandising concepts is not to overburden the customer

with too many choices -- whew -- not practiced by the purveyors of Petes and Savs. It's fun to look, but leaves me

in a daze.

Status
Not open for further replies.