PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmi16freie

Lurker
May 6, 2015
I recently came across an older Peterson Pipe at a flee market in Berlin Germany. The silver is badly tarnished and I am yet to bring it back to a full shine. The stem is a little worn but the bowl seems to be in nice shape. The side is clearly marked 68 but I have no other information on this pipe, including possible year or model. I would also be interested in a possible refurbishment job if there are any suggestion on a company or individual. Any information out there would be appreciated.
Images

http://s7.postimg.cc/4jd6u3crv/IMG_2057.jpg

http://s28.postimg.cc/5o66s9ybh/IMG_2059.jpg

http://s9.postimg.cc/gbchm6o3j/IMG_2060.jpg

vmi16freie

Lurker
May 6, 2015
Thank you for the hallmark tip. I found a guid and was able to date it to 1979 using the third symbol. Any thoughts on the make or model?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That Peterson shape looks familiar. Print off a picture of this one and take a trek through some of the more expansive online retail pages of Petersons to see if you can match this up with their systems pipes or some of the others for shape.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
The 68 stamped on it is the shape code for Peterson. It's a Bent Brandy and it's pretty iconic Peterson shape. As far as which line it's from, it's a little trickier because there are dozens (or more) of different lines based on slightly different stains and different shank features, etc. To further complicate it, they have changed those features slightly over the years (silver bands to nickel, etc.).
Looking at the stain color, I'd guess it was an Aran.
Generally, the Peterson's with the best reputation are Pre-Republic (pre-1949) pieces but it seems that the pre-1980s pieces have a better (growing?) reputation than the post-1980s pieces due to a perceived drop in quality control after a change in management. It won't matter much in terms of price but it's probably a better chance that it will be a worthwhile pipe to restore and smoke.
In the U.S., I'd couldn't recommend Walker Pipe Repair (www.walkerpiperepair.com) more. Mike restored a couple of Dunhills for me and the job was amazing. If you are located in Germany, then I'll have to let our European members chime in.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
As an aside, not a System Pipe. The System Pipes have their own Shape Numbers. The modern ones in the Standard Line are either "3xx" or "XL3xx". There are some system pipes from Special lines and Deluxe lines outside the standard shape system.
The Hallmarks are just markings required by the Assay office for Silver Bands. There are even some Peterson silver bands without them since they aren't required in every country. There are a number of non-system lines with Silver Bands. Even the entry-level Donegal Rocky pipes had them until a few years ago.
**All current production Arans have fishtail mouthpieces and nickel bands but not in 1979***

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Bad link @rcstan - doesn't seem to work. You can copy and paste it and it works but clicking it doesn't work.
Trying again here.
Here in lies my question, I always thought because of the standard way they did their drilling the majority of the army mounts were system pipes(excluding roslaires) - is that not the case with this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.