PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Here are two Pete's that I recently acquired. The Bulldog is 1898 (The first year of the P-Lip) and the Billiard is 1915. The Bulldog has a screw in tenon (reportedly a replacement) and the stem on the Billiard appears to be a replacement since I can see mold lines and it's orific.
Both pipes have been reamed by some human with a fetish for Pen knives and carving wood. It's all good though. I like old, old pipes and weirdness and damage come with the territory.

Jan 8, 2013
:worship: :worship: :worship: Very very cool! I'd like to see a closer view of that birdseye on the right flank of the billiard! 8O

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
That is awesome. They will clean up nicely and probably smoke great for you. Congrats on the nice additions

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I almost bid on the bulldog, which is very cool, but didn't know what to make of that tenon. It looked odd having threads part of the way and a smooth part sticking out beyond. I feared it was a repair. The listing photos weren't great, making it harder to tell. Plus, I've been trying not to blow all my shekels before the Chicago Show even starts. Now that you have it in hand, Ash, what's your take? Is that tenon just the way it was designed, or a modification?

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Wouldn’t it be great when you bought a pipe that was 120 years old that you got papers with it that told you a bit about its previous owners and what tobacco they had smoked in it.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Wow those are beautiful, nice scores. I’m not a bulldog guy but that one makes me reconsider. Now don your bowler cap, board the steam ship, and enjoy your gentlemanly pipes.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
@craiginthecorn

the bulldog says patent ,was the patent not the system pipe or was it the plip

It could be its a system pipe and the extension is like a chimney on the deluxe pipe

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Paulfg, Peterson had patents for various aspects of the pipe. On page 57 of The Peterson Pipe (fantastic book) it says that Peterson obtained a patent in 1894 for "the modified lip" and they then started applying "patent" straight pipes and cigar holders.
Craig, the seller stated it had an original bone tenon and the current tenon is a repair. It is a very good repair. The photos were terrible, but I couldn't pass up the historical value, besides, I'm not going to Chicago. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.