PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
I have a birthday ( 78th ) coming up at the end of the month and I have my eye on a Peterson Kildare Silver Band No999.It has a p-lip,I have never smoked one of these before and wouls welcome your opinions on them.
Tpm

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
They really reduce tongue bite, however they are pretty impossible to clench, if you want to do that with one like me, you need standard sized pipe softy bits. They make it very easy to clench these pipes. The stems come quite round and on the small side which is what causes the difficulty. Personally though, the p-lip is my favorite stem design and I am a clencher.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
I love the P-lip, helps to keep the tongue bite at bay...

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Right on time, though
I like them too....I don't clench either, it is impossible to clench down on a pipe stem, and be relaxed at the same time for me.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
@hobie :rofl:
Yeah I like the P-lip but I don't clench. I have pipes with both and enjoy them equally. It takes a short time to get used to the P-lip but not a big deal.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I use the rubber tips on most of my pipes (crappy teeth) and find the p-lip no harder to clench then your standard fishtail.

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
I also do not have a problem clenching my p-lips. If I was buying a new pipe and I could choose between the p-lip and a fishtail, I would go with the fishtail 90% of the time. However, if I was buying an estate pipe, it wouldn't matter to me one way or another which type of bit it had.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I always disliked them but have grown to accept them. If you clench, they sit a little further into the mouth which takes getting used to. Also, the draw is a little more restricted, so I open it up a bit with a drill bit. It does not take much and it does the job nicely. That said, I typically will not buy a pipe with it as I still prefer the fishtail.
Happy Birthday!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Not a fan of the P-lip. Everytime I get one, with an estate lot, I get rid of it. I do, however, still have one, Sav. Pot with Cumberland Stem (P-lip), that I won't part with. Otherwise.....

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I have several Peterson's and love them all. But mine all have a flat bit. I tried the P-Lip

years ago and it didn't fit the configuration of my teeth.

seanavan

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2012
I have several p-lips and love them. No problems clenching. The stem/bit is rounder than a fishtail but fits perfectly between my teeth. Definitely recommended.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The key is to wrap sandpaper around the p-lip and sand a groove in your teeth where you normally clench the pipe. Then clenching is easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.