PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
I was thinking about getting a Peterson P-lip. I would appreciate any opinions on the pros and cons of this design. Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I have three P-lip pipes, though only one is actually a Peterson. It works fine for me. I clench and it doesn't get in my way. One advantage to consider is the fact that it directs smoke to a different part of your mouth-supposedly this had some flavor advantage. I can't say I notice a difference, but I have found that if I get a "bite," for whatever reason, from smoking a regular stem, smoking a P-lip doesn't bother it, and vice versa.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
craig94yj, welcome to Forums. I have one P-Lip, a Killarney bent Rhodesian 999, in that deep crimson stain. I enjoy owning one P-Lip. It directs

the smoke to the roof of your mouth, so it changes the experience of the flavor slightly. You have to stick the bit in your mouth a little further,

but that's no big deal. It may be a little more trouble for clenching for that reason. There's a reason why the fishtail stem is the default design

for most pipes and the most popular worldwide. I think it directs the smoke to the sweet spot for taste, for most pipe smokers. The fishtail may

give most smokers a little more precise control on draw and tasting the smoke. I'm happy to have my Rhodesian, a beautiful little pipe and a

good smoker. But one's enough. I buy all my others as fishtails, Peterson or whatever. However, as you will see, some pipe smokers greatly prefer

the P-Lip and own mostly those.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
I have been doing some research and I understand about avoiding bite with this design, but I was unaware of the fact that it can change a flavor profile. My curiosity is peaked even more. Thank you.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I love plips and have 2. It is great especially if I have happened to get tongue bite, allows me to smoke in comfort.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
The most sensitive part of my mouth for "bite" is the roof of my mouth. For that reason I don't like using the P-lip and stick to fishtail stems. If it is your tongue that suffers, then the P-lip provides a good alternative.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have a mixture of Petersons - Fishtail and PLip. The PLip is my favorite style, but on some of the pipes it's not available. I like it so much, 2 of my cobb Forever stems are PLips.
I would urge you to order a cobb and a PLip Forever stem to give it a try (about $35 spent) that way you haven't shelled out $$$. If it works for you, you have a great MM cob and can order the Peterson. If you don't like it, you haven't spent a lot for something you hate, sell the stem and keep the cob.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
The P-Lip has a small hole and is directed directly at the roof of the mouth. For me it's too intense and direct - causing the roof of my mouth to get overly dry and heated. I personally prefer a fishtail because the smoke better fills my entire mouth and can also be directed any which way I want.
That being said, the P-Lip has been around for a long time and it's still going strong, so obviously there are enough insane people out there who enjoy it [just teasing!] I think if you find that your tongue is sensitive to heat or "bite", a P-Lip might be the ticket.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I have 5 Petersons and three have a P-lip, I personally notice a small difference and thats in the flavor and also the P-lip gives me a cooler smoke and less tongue bite if I'm smoking too fast. You can't go wrong with a P-Lip.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have one Peterson with a Plip, and it just does not get smoked, except for the rare ooccation. I am not a fan of the P-lip, but that doesn't mean they are no good.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I bought my first P-Lip Pete about a fortnight ago (all my others are fishtail).
Still trying to get used to it/make up my mind...

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have six Peterson and three have a P-Lip. For me, the flavor is the same between the P-Lip and fish tail.

P-Lips are fine and easy to smoke, however, while I like P-Lips the only issue for me is cleaning. It is difficult to get a regular pipe cleaner through a P-Lip since the whole is too small. Other then cleaning P-Lips are fine.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I have one Peterson with a P-lip. I smoke it when I manage to get tongue bite or I just want a change up. I will say they are harder to clean than a fishtail. I tend to get buildup on either side of the hole that can be a little hard to get to with a pipe cleaner.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I just got my wife a Peterson System Deluxe earlier this week with a P-lip. I personally find myself smoking it more then she does! I have one of their 606s with a fishtail and that is great for sitting around the house and smoking but I tend to have a bit of a saliva problem and while driving I dont find myself flooding the stem as much with the P-lip. As for the taste... I have a bit of a problem with the smoke not hitting my tongue right off the bat but that being said I do still enjoy it.
@Robusthemit I hade the exact same problem with my Peterson 606. I just take a folded paper towel to it right after I'm done and it seems to keep it pretty clean.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
burl, I heard that there is a different flavor profile when the smoke hits the roof of your mouth. maybe you could do a side by side taste comparison and post your opinion. I was also listening to one of the earlier podcast from the radio show and Brian mentioned that you should lift your tongue and expose the less used taste buds to the smoke or beverage of choice. I have been giving that a try and it does seem to make a slight difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.