PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Gotta order myself more of that . Even if my youngest says it smells more like old underwear than Old Dublin .

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
This reminds me of a old style blend . The taste is rough and pure .While it will not win over any ARO fans it will win over a purist . One tin open and one tin to age ,lets see if I can wait five years .

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The only problem I have with Old Dublin is the latakia. I guess I'll let my jar age a few years and then try it again...much like my jar of Squadron Leader.

scotsjim

Lurker
Jan 27, 2011
Unclearthur said,
Gotta order myself more of that . Even if my youngest says it smells more like old underwear than Old Dublin .
My wife says it smells like old underwear too :lol: I am banned from smoking this in the house.
Regards,

Jim

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks for the review. I haven't tried this one yet but I did recently pick up a couple of tins of it. Looking forward to trying it.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I've considered buying it. It sounds like the only Peterson tobacco I would readily enjoy - the aros do not appeal to me and the remainder sound terribly strong for my liking. Old Dublin seems like a oriental-heavy medium English I could enjoy, especially with the comparisons to Presbyterian Mixture I've read.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Every time this thread pops up, I'm haunted by this blend. It's NOT the orientals that make this a blend I don't like, it's the latakia. This is what I think of when someone says latakia bomb...
-Jason

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I never got that sentiment from Bob's article or from any tobacco reviews. Do you dislike latakia in general, lordnoble? I generally prefer moderate doses, I guess I won't know for sure unless I pick up this blend. For now I have too many other blends on my wishlist to take any leaps of faith!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Sparroa,

I don't dislike latakia at all! As a matter of fact, I like it in many blends, I just tend to favor ones that have less latakia. Blends like PS English Luxury, Penzance, 965, & Balkan Sasieni are all in my rotation (if there even is one with this weather! I'm lucky if I get one smoke in a week!). I know Bob stated that this was light in latakia, but that seemed to be all I could taste in this blend... just a mouthful of campfire smoke with nothing else to even it out. OBViously my palate is nowhere near as honed as Bob's and what I've tried came out of a fresh tin with no age on it, so take everything I say with a grain of salt (or a pinch of tobacco in this case).
I've been aging the tin I got many months ago, and I'll revisit Old Dublin once I've got a year of age on it since Bob's reviewed blend had 2 years of age on it and I've read that latakia becomes more mellow over time. Only time will tell....
-Jason

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Lordnoble, I believe that PS English Luxury, Penzance, 965, & Balkan Sasieni all have higher amounts of Latakia than Old Dublin. It could just be that the combination and/or blending recipe of Old Dublin just doesn't suit your tastes.
Also, the Old Dublin that I had had over 5 years of age on it when I reviewed it so it was really mellowed out. It could be that fresh tins of it are harsher and more 'in your face' than the tin that I had.
If you like the other blends that you've listed, but you do not like Old Dublin, IMO you will probably never like Old Dublin. But that's alright because we all don't like every blend that we've smoke. :D

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, I think that's probably the case, Bob. I was sure I wouldn't Balkans Sasieni, but I found it to be an enjoyable smoke. Maybe what I THINK is latakia is an oriental that's used in Old Dublin but not other English blends I've tried. I have a hard time distinguishing a blends components sometimes, while other times I taste things that supposedly aren't in a blend. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. Or maybe I'm just :crazy:
-Jason

scotsjim

Lurker
Jan 27, 2011
I agree with your review Bob. The latakia in this blend is light and is never in your face. In fact, I'd recommend Old Dublin as a gentle intro to latakia to someone who hadn't tried a tobacco with latakia in.
Jason - It must be something else in Old Dublin other than the latakia that you don't like. It's a strange blend is Old Dublin. One of those love or hate type of tobaccos methinks :)

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Intriguing... I will have to try this blend some day just to discover my own take. For the moment I am enjoying PS Balkan Supreme instead!

Status
Not open for further replies.