PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2019
So I was looking for a good english/scottish blend today while checking out a new pipe shop. They didn't have much, but I did manage to pick up a tin of Peterson Old Dublin. It was 16 bucks for 50g. Which is expensive, but it is soooo good it's worth it for an occasional smoke. I tried looking online to find a better price, but everyone says it's not available anymore. Did Peterson stop making tobacco? I can seem to find any of their blends online. Either way, I do really enjoy Old Dublin. It is pretty smokey which is one thing I really like. There is a slight potpourri type exhale note, but it's pleasant to balance out the rest of the flavor profile. I actually do like the addition of cavendish to this even though I'm not a big fan usually. I cellared about an ounce when I got home just in case I can't find anymore. They had one more tin which I may grab if I find out it's no longer made.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Peterson is going through some transitions, but I've heard the tobacco should be returning to shelves in April. Some blends won't be making a comeback, but here's a list of those that are.
Peterson 3P's Plug Tobacco 50g

Peterson Balkan Delight Tobacco 50g

Peterson Connoisseurs Choice Tobacco 50g

Peterson De Luxe Mix Tobacco 50g

Peterson Hyde Park Tobacco 50g

Peterson Irish Dew Tobacco 5 x 40g

Peterson Irish Flake Tobacco 50g

Peterson Irish Oak Tobacco 50g

Peterson Irish Whiskey Tobacco 50g

Peterson Old Dublin Tobacco 50g

Peterson Sherlock Holmes Tobacco 50g

Peterson Sunset Breeze Tobacco 50g

Peterson Sweet Killarney Tobacco 50g

Peterson University Flake Tobacco 50g

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Embers, thank you for the update. A Forums members sent me a generous sample of 3P and I may order it again. Eons ago, I enjoyed some Peterson Irish Whiskey, a good use of whiskey as a flavoring.

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
I was told that it was a close drop in for my favorite English, My Mixture 965. Can anyone tell me if this is the case?
Bob

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I never found Old Dublin as being close in flavor to 965. Old Dublin is more refined to me, a bit of Basma offering up a cedar-ish note on a balanced virginia/latakia base. 965 to me was always a little woolly, the toasted cavendish offering a breadier sort of flavor, and I found 965 a little rough to smoke.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have to agree with Sasquatch on Old Dublin and 965.

I personally could not abide 965, but, as long time members know, I am a big fan of Old Dublin. I grabbed a bunch of tins earlier this year when I feared that it was gone for good. I was pleased to discover it is not gone.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I like Old Dublin, 965, and the Sutliff 965 Match (now Match 20). Of these I find the Sutliff match far superior and closer to the old Murray’s Dunhill 965 which, once upon a time, was my go to. The more recent STG 965, now defunct, I simply leave aging, hoping that one day it will reach the level of the old 965. IMO Old Dublin is nice but, not as robust as any of the 965s. To me it is Presbyterian with a little more depth. Just my 2cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.