PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
I received my latest influx of tobacco from SP yesterday, and included in the order was a tin of Peterson Old Dublin. Not having tried it before, I was pretty excited to open it and give it a go. From the first light to the last ash I was very pleased with the taste and room note, and can safely say that I have a found a new favorite! I will definitely be ordering more! Thanks to you guys who piqued my interest in it through your comments and suggestions to the various newbies here! I tip my cap to you!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It's a very good blend. Still my standard for traditional English blends. I put it ahead of any of the similar blends I have tried.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Because of a thread about it a few days ago I went to my local BM to pick up a tin. They didn't have it so I grabbed more Jubilee (always!) and Frog Morton.
Old Dublin is really high on my short list. I haven't smoked any other Peterson except for Irish Oak, but I really enjoy that.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Old Dublin is in my top 5 of English blends! Others may want to stone me but I'll go out on a limb and say what I've recently tried which is delicious.
1/2 part Peterson's Old Dublin

1/2 part CAO Eileen's Dream
Blend well
Now, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I wouldn't go as far as stoning you, Durham, but I will say blah. And blah again. How dare thee defile thine Old Dublin?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I wouldn't go as far as stoning you, Durham, but I will say blah. And blah again. How dare thee defile thine Old Dublin?

:rofl: Sean. I saw that yesterday and was simply dumbfounded. Didn't know what to say - I'm glad you did.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Just lots of love for Old Dublin. But as with all things pipe, if you dig it do it and enjoy it your way. :puffpipe:

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
All I can say about Old Dublin: Ewww, burning cat litter.
(But then again, I can't stand latakia.)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you don't like latakia, then don't smoke Old Dublin. Very simple. :D
Neither of us said it was wrong - Sean's exact phrase was "blah". I viewed the rest as a humorous aside that reflects my views. You wanna do it,knock yourself out.

I don't smoke aros, I don't smoke crossover latakia blends - at least, I have as yet to find one that I still like after smoking 2 ounces or so. And since Old Dublin is a blend that I find perfectly fits what I want in a middle of the road lat blend, why would I want to change it? Especially by adding parts of an aro that, when I read the tin description, makes me go "yuk".

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
It's as I stated above I enjoy Old Dublin and consider it one of my top favorite blends by far. I didn't ask anyone to try anything. I was watching a video about the mixture and not afraid to try something new or different tried it and thought, humm not bad at all! ;) I've acquired the taste to enjoy a variety of aro's, vapers, English 'Latakia', Balkin blends.
Tobacco blends are a lot like foods,
I love Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, French, Moroccan , etc etc etc. The lists can go on and on.
(Once read a post here about someone blending their Nightcap with Carter Hall I think) I'll have to try that.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Yeah, but you mentioned it - which allows people like Sean who thinks it's sacrilege to do that to Old Dublin to kick in. :D

If you are allowed to say you think something is really good, Sean is allowed to say he thinks the idea is gawd-awful. And I'm allowed to think what Sean said is funny.

Smoke it if ya like it. No biggie.

marconbass

Lurker
Jun 16, 2013
Chicago, IL USA
I love Old Dublin! It was my first introduction to English blends and latikia. I still remember my reaction when I first cracked the tin open some 8 years ago... Mmmmm!! what an aroma and the first taste lived up to it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Basma, my boy, basma!
I had smoked a lot of latakia blends, but when I opened that first tin of OD and smelled the basma, I was in love.

Status
Not open for further replies.