PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
This is my first attempt at a "serious" tobacco review, and I'm certainly no expert, so please take all this with several grains of salt:
Pipe: a Peterson Flame Grain #B10 flared bent with P-lip.
First Impressions: The tobacco was surprisingly moist in the tin, which led to some gurgling problems in the smoke.

The char light brought immediate pleasant notes of Latakia, both in the taste and aroma.
Smoking on, other than the gurgling, a nice, sweet mellow, cool smoke; strong nutty flavours, especially on "retro-haling" through the nose. A very satisfying smoke.
I think, after a bit of drying, this may become my favourite "English-style" blend.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Old Dublin is the True Path. :D
Seriously, it is one blend that is always in my rotation. If I do not have a tin open, it's because I've finished the last one, and haven't gotten around to opening a new one yet.

You can keep all the 965, and London Mixture, EMP, Standard Medium, Nightcap, Squadron Leader, and ALL of the Frogs, all of which get raved about more, TYVM. If I have my Old Dublin, I know I can reach for it any time and be happy. :puffy:

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I've said it before and I'll say it again I'm with Jud. Old Dublin is Awesome. It's my favorite English blend. That said I have been enjoying Mac Baren's Plum Cake. I suggest giving it a try especially if you like the Mac Baren blends.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
As you can tell,guys, I love the stuff. I fell in love the first time I opened a tin, and smelled the basma.
Give it a shot, PP. It's not a knock-your-socks-off blend, but a very solid, all-day sort of lat blend, with no added attractions. It's Peterson's only latakia blend, and they did it right.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Peterson is releasing a Balkan Blend sometime soon.
As to Old Dublin, if you're into English blends I've heard it's really good. I tried it a while back but had a bad experience. Now I just stick with my aros and Va flakes.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
It's my favorite blend, period. The first time I tried it, it changed my smoking experience completely. Once again, Jud got me into trying this stuff. I usually smoke this once every other day. I always keep an open tin, and I'm up to twelve or so that I have set back for safe keeping. I have a pipe dedicated to it. It is absolutely one of a kind, and my it suits me perfectly.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Thanks for posting this 4dotsasieni! I have a tin of this but have not popped the lid yet. I'm waiting until I've smoked most of my opened tins. Looking forward to it.

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I tried Old Dublin for the first time about a month ago. I liked the blend and flavour. I don't know whether any of the rest of you experienced this or not but I really got buzzed from the vitamin N.

balcifer

Lurker
Jul 9, 2013
Got to try a bowl of Old Dublin last night after trying Mac Baren's Plumcake and have to say that I really enjoyed Old Dublin. Smoked very cool and the aroma after opening the tin was a welcoming "top of the morning" this is one blend that I will be buying and smoking again in my pipe.

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
Just smoked a bowl of this. Must say when I opened the tin I was sure I wouldn't like it, it had a very strong smell to it and I assumed 'nicotine bomb'. I was pleasantly surprised. A nice smoke that definitely had a nutty aspect to it and was complex enough in taste to have me discovering new things throughout the bowl. It was this thread that I read when choosing my initial purchases and once again it was worth listening to the advice.
Thanks again, good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.