PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
My co-worker is in Dublin today and called me and I chatted with the guy at the counter who is the store manager (didn't catch his name). Anyway, I had my co-worker snap some shots and pick me up a Peterson 1S Deluxe System. Here is some pics of the store and my new pipe:

http://imgur.com/a/UpRW7

Reactions: vates

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's been a year plus since I last set foot in there. It's a wonderful store, great if you are a cigar smoker also, with a good staff and plenty of inventory as the photos show.
This store and James Fox are the only reasons I go to Dublin any more. I've done the town as a tourist should, I can get a pour of Guinness most everywhere on the island, but not going into the Peterson and Fox store would leave any visit to Ireland incomplete for a smoker. Maybe this spring . . .

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Yeah, that pipe looks good and comes straight from the store which is pretty cool by itself. If in Ireland I would surely have to stop in the shop.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
And rumour has it that both stores could be in jeopardy unless cigars and pipe tobacco are exempted from the new plain-packaging laws. Ireland being a tiny niche of an already small global market, foreign tobacco companies might not deem it worth the expense to start packaging stuff separately for Ireland alone. Fox's in particular would be crippled by that - a Dublin institution, whose little shop at the end of Grafton St survived the 1916 Rising, potentially forced to shut by a Health Minister who wanted a legacy :cry:

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
It's a nice shop. SP might have a larger selection than they do. It's just too bad the EU won't let them have a smoking lounge. That amenity makes US smoke shops so much better.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Thought about getting a Peterson system pipe recently, never had one.
Any bodies thoughts about the differnce I would notice from smoking my Falcons and Dr Plums?
Are they worth the extra money for the result?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Great pipe.
System Pipes. I have several and find they smoke no drier. They require a tad bit more cleaning (can be a lot if you get an estate), but overall, "meh". I don't notice any generalizations across the construction. I can make anything gurgle.
That being said. I DO really enjoy my system pipes.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
@warren if you are a cigar aficionado The Decent Cigar Emporium on Grafton Street is a short walk from Petersons and Foxes is well worth a visit. They do have a small selection of pipe tobacco too.
Also there are many better porters and stouts to be had in Dublin, rather than that cold brown dishwater that masquerades as Guinness these days :)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Next trip, possibly this spring, I'll look up the "Emporium." Thank you for the tip!
I've tried others. Guinness is still the choice in the "West." When traveling I do as the locals do and am not usually disappointed. It's very satisfying sitting at the bar with a peat cutter, a couple of farmers, or what have you solving the problems of the world. It's usually done with Guiness but, most anything will do when the tongues are loose.
I once shared a few furtive sips of whiskey with an ostracized member of the Joyce family on a bench in the park near "Shop Street" in Galway City. Fascinating afternoon, that. He had some tales to tell, some might have been true, all had a ring of truth. I wish I had had a tape recorder with me. Diarmet, a friend in Roundstone, told me that the gent was "the real thing." Said I was lucky to find him more or less lucid.

Reactions: vates

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
The Decent is great, though as the name suggests their focus is on cigars. That said, they do have some bulk aros and a few basket pipes.
I'm always taken with the fact that Grafton and Nassau Streets have this tight triangulation of three very fine tobacconists, while there are almost none left anywhere else in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.