PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I am eyeing a certain Peterson meer. I would like to have a meer, and I like the classic simplicity of the design. I guess this is a system pipe, and it has a fishtail, probably vulcanite. Does anyone have any experiences to share? Are they good? Price is around 100$ and the seller describes it as mint.

pp-10.jpg

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
I have one of their Sherlock Holmes Meerschaum ones, nice quality Meerschaum Pipe. I would say that Peterson meerschaums are of the same quality as their briars, wich is usualy high and with this, 100 $ is a steal, especialy if this is truly mint aka unsmoked.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Ive never smoked an African Meerschaum, but I am sure it smokes just as good as Turkish, albeit the meerschaum itself is denser.

I love my Peterson Meer, and it is a system pipe as well.

930cc090-4a3e-4e72-bf2a-13b3f932a27c-600x450.jpg

upnorth1

Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
I smoke an African meer and I love it. They are harder and less porous than Turkish meers so often come pre colored. They are a sturdier pipe less prone to breakage.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
African Meerschaum is usualy not pearl white but has a more brownish/ cream colour and is in some cases even pitch black, though I dont know if this is how it natural occurs or if it is colored in some way, as appearently there is/was a method of cooking the meerschaum in tar. It is also usualy a little heavier then the turkish variant but quality wise, I would say both are good. I have about 4 African and 5 turkish meers and both get smoked with the same regularity. As far as I know, Petersons Meerschaum Pipes should be mostly african meer especialy anything made after the 1960s when the export embargo from turkey kicked in.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I think Peterson used both. The one in my picture is quite light like my other turkish meers. I read somewhere that Peterson started to use Turkish instead of the African. Though I am not an expert and could be wrong.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
This is mine I bought from esteemed member #6(Thank you where ever you are!).Pete meers are wonderful things! If you don't want that one workman, please pm me the info. I will snatch it up in a second... :D
EG6ce63.jpg

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Weez...is the Condor being marketed any better than about 6 months ago...still working on my Irish Condor and would like to get more, but if it hasn't gotten any better than what CondorLover said...I'll pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.