Peterson-Made J.J. Fox Dawson Special – Crack Repair and Restem (Pic Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Barling Pipes
New Accessories
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
12 Fresh Johs Pipes
18 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
I thought I’d show off a pipe and a repair that might be of interest to a few of you guys. The pipe is a Dawson Special, made by Peterson and sold as a shop brand by UK tobacconist James J. Fox. I found the pipe interesting because I’ve seen plenty of Pete sub-brands, but not too many shop-branded pipes made by them.
12tpoMr.jpg

AZc41k2.jpg

I’d originally been asked just to restem the pipe, but a closer inspection revealed a long, thin crack snaking its way along the top of the shank. That would have to be dealt with before I could even think about a new stem. There was another problem though. The pipe was stamped along the bottom all the way up to within just a few millimeters from the end of the shank. While a nice silver band wouldn’t necessarily look out of place on a Pete, in this case it would cover up the only real clue as to the maker’s origin. Unacceptable.
bRPzyr8.jpg

YAu7baF.jpg

Instead, I stabilized the shank from inside the mortise with a delrin and stainless sleeve. The close tolerances make it a much more finicky sort of repair than banding, but it gives better stabilization and it’s invisible when the stem is attached. Win/win in my book.
Once the shank was solid, I could work on cutting the new vulcanite stem. I tried to make something that was a compromise between a Peterson-style taper (a sort of teardrop shape) and a standard taper (more wedge shaped). I thought that would be appropriate for a pipe that both was/wasn’t a true Pete.
Here’s the finished pipe:
ChX6XLq.jpg

S5TuCou.jpg

rqZuQRN.jpg

xreYzhS.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Yup. Anthony's pipe repairman midi-chlorian count (PRMCC) is sky high. The highest I've seen in 40+ years.
He is the chosen one. 8)

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Beautiful work, thanks for showing it to us.
How thick did the delrin repair sleeve end up being?

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
@beefeater33: I don't have a clue to the age of pipe, beef. Your guess is as good as mine; probably better.
@georged: You should have seen the original me. Sooooo much better than the prequel me.
@nevadablue: The stainless is doing all of the heavy lifting. The delrin is just there for a smooth glide and to reduce long-term abrasive wear (and it looks better than shiny metal in the mortise). So, it's really only an inner skin with a slightly thicker bit at either end.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Thanks for leaving the shed to make an appearance.

Just came in to wash my hands and grab a bite. Thought I'd post something while I was in. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.