PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've had mine for a while now. I think I bought it last winter. It's been a good Old Boy. On par with IM Corona.
Very reliable striking, nice fuel chamber, easily adjustable flame. It doesn't have the built in pipe tool that the IM Corona has, but I never use those things. I'd hate put the lighter away and get ash in my pocket. The only other thing that the IM Corona has on my Peterson is the Corona has a screw to cover the fuel loading port and the Peterson doesn't. They run very close in price. I got a Peterson because I'm a huge fan of the brand. Call me a fanboy lol.
Honestly, for an Old Boy style you can't go wrong with either. Do realize though, if you're mostly/only an outside smoker Old Boys can be a bugger because a constant strong breeze will make it difficult to light and if it's very windy out forget it.
I think the front runner for lighters to use outdoors is the Zippo with the pipe insert.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
I am thinking of getting a Peterson as I like the look of its style. Currently, I use a Vector for initial lighting, but enjoy a Zippo for further lights-just enjoy flipping it and hearing that sound! Strangely, though I consider a match to be probably best as its flame is gentler, I have a problem with the smell of the match- I get quite nauseous when it strikes! Isn't it strange? Thanks for the thread. I will continue to consider the Peterson for my next treat!

Geo3rge

mikeryan

Lurker
Jan 16, 2014
Haven't Bought a Peterson Old Boy yet -- strange, since ALL my pipes are theirs. I may do that one days soom, although I really like my Jetline. Every Calibri I bought went bad in a month or two. I have two zippos, one with the pipe insert. But the latter doesn't "work" for me. Feels too awkward. And, I don't like the smell/taste of the fyel, even Zippo's, which is the least offensive to me. I like the heft and design, especially the side light of the Jetline.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I smoke outdoors so I want something that stays lit in a breeze, which means Zippo. If I smoked indoors I would use wooden matches. The only time I use anything else is when I travel. Then I pick up a cheap disposible butane when I get to my hotel. So I never had any urge to spend money on a refillable indoor lighter. But those oldboys do look retro cool I will admit.

Status
Not open for further replies.