PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyanchors

Lurker
Apr 19, 2014
Hi All!
I just placed an order for a new Peterson Kapp Royal 606 with the army mount. It's been three years since my last pipe purchase which was a good starter (Peterson barrel).
Really looking forward to getting this pipe and breaking her in!
Oh, on a side note.. Will this pipe have a finish on it? If it does I will most likely take it off for a natural finish to let the bowl breath since all I smoke are flakes.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Welcome aboard!

I have a couple of 606's myself that are great smokers!

Is far as the finish on the Kapp Royals, they're pretty nice and, IMO, it'd be a shame to strip it. I've never really bought into the whole lacquered vs. un-lacquered thing anyway. I have close to 60 pipes, both lacquered and un-lacquered, and I've never noticed any significant negatives or positive to either.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
That Peterson is a beauty for sure, and when you finally receive it you very likely won't want to strip the finish. Those Kapp Royals are not heavily finished.

joeyanchors

Lurker
Apr 19, 2014
Thanks petes03 and conlejm!
conlejm you are probably right. I'll probably just leave the finish on and see how she wears as time goes on.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I have one similar and there is no need to remove the finish. It's not lacquered so you will be good to go.
That is a beautiful pipe. Pot shapes are unrepresented I think and yours is an excellent example.

joeyanchors

Lurker
Apr 19, 2014
Another quick question.. Will the stem darken with age? This will be my first pipe with an acrylic orange stem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the briar finish will age nicely, losing a little of that gloss, but still maintaining its colorful look.

I have several colorful stems, and I think they wear well. Again, they won't have that new glow, but

they keep their tone nicely. Give this pipe a chance; I'll think you will enjoy it even more as you go along.

joeyanchors

Lurker
Apr 19, 2014
Thanks everyone! I do plan on pairing this with good old Peterson Irish Flake..hope this is a winning combo

Status
Not open for further replies.