PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I originally thought this was going to be an aromatic, but after about a half a tin of this, its pretty easy to say it doesnt behave like most aromatics do. Opening the tin is a wonderful smell of raisins, figs, baked bread, and a VERY very light smell of some sort of whiskey topping. Leaving the tin open for about a half an hour, the smell of whiskey vanishes and the tobacco is perfect smoking moisture. The strands are a fine ribbon cut of brown and blonde which makes loading, lighting and smoking an absolute breeze. The first light gives off that nice burley flavor, warm and nutty, a earthy like a nice mild cigar. Second light brings out the flavor of the Kentucky leaf that is in this blend, fairly smoky, almost barbeque-esque, maybe just a tiny bit spicy. The flavor is not muted at all like an aromatic would be, but is actually quite strong and has a nice mouth coating kind of feel to it. As you go down the bowl, the flavors intensify, and every puff produces almost a kind of creole sort of cajun cooking flavor, little bit of spice, almost salty even as weird as that may sound, and the Kentucky leaf really gets more bold and the flavor is very sharp and smoky, almost caramel like, and the earthiness intensifies and brings out a really nice sort of dark coffee flavor. I tasted absolutely no whiskey flavoring at all while smoking this, so if you are looking for a strong essence of whiskey, look elsewhere. I was also surprised by the nicotine hit of this blend. It can seem fairly tame at first but don't go too fast or you'll wind up on your ass wondering who stole your lunch money. Respect this blend and it has a nice nic hit that nicotine lovers will crave. Burns down to a very dry ash and leaves no goop, and I should also mention this blend is awesome for getting strong ghosts out of well used pipes, three pipes full of this stuff got rid of the MacBaren 7 Seas Red ghost in my GBD. All in all, this is my first Peterson blend and it really surprised me. It is bold without being overpowering, and is tasty enough to hold the interest of anyone who likes burley or Kentucky leaf. I will definitely re-order more of this in the near future.

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks Lawrence. I also have a tin of Irish Oak that I am dying to try but I think I might give it a little more time before I crack it open. Might wait for another few months, or I might even wait for another year or so. Id like to get another tin to compare fresh vs. aged. In any case, I have a lot of other Peterson blends too and I am dying to try all of them.

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Great review. I have a tin of this waiting for a special time and pipe. This may just be my New Year's eve blend that I try out in my Christmas Savinelli.

Status
Not open for further replies.