PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Back in 99 or 2000 I had been smoking aromatics for a year or two. I stopped in a local b&m in Fayetteville NC called Ansteads. I was wanting something different that an aro and something that smelled more like a fireplace or something not sweet. They introduced me to Irish Oak. Fast forward to 2005 and I switched to English blends because I wanted to smell a campfire and never looked back till now. I remember what I thought the smell and the enjoyment from Irish Oak but can't truly remember as I have matured a great deal and my tastes have changed. I now long to try it again and would like your thoughts on this blend. I would love to find a sample so a whole tin is not opened but probably have to get a full tin and just jar it.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I didn't care for Irish Oak, to me it tasted bland. Granted I tried it in the early stages of my piping. I would try it again if had the opportunity, but I won't buy a tin to test that theory.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I like it quite a bit. Not a daily smoke for me, but I open a tin every 3 or 4 months. For me it's unique enough to be a nice break from pretty much everything else. Peterson's Irish Whisky, on the other hand - I couldn't stand that stuff.

Someone said English?

It is a VaPer made with a unique stronger Virginia, dark earthy and tasty, with a good frolic's worth of perique, tangy, verging on spicy. It is deep, bass-like (bass as in low frequency, not the big fish), spicy, and goes very well with raking leaves in the Fall and long walks in the woods. It is not the pixie bright VaPer that Annie Cake or OGS can be, it is more the deep baritone with a splash of some liquor that attempts to brighten it up a bit but fails drastically after the initial lighting. It also has some good nicotine in thar to brighten your day, and give you good thoughts.

YMMV

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've been through a couple of tins in the recent past. I like it, every now and then I've gotten an "explosive" taste jolt. I love that and should pay attention more when smoking it so as to figure out the why and so to duplicate it more often.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Let's see what's in it:
A rich blend of Cavendish, Zimbabwean, Orange, Thailand Burley & Black Perique, matured in Oak Sherry Barrels. Made in Ireland.
I tasted something like an Oriental in there but it may be from the interaction of those others. I wouldn't stick it in with any Va/Pers except perhaps a stronger, vinegar-bitter version of Dunhill "Elizabethan Mixture."

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I find it can be pretty rough on my mouth despite a slow cadence. The room note is wonderful but hard to notice unless you leave and come back.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I smoked int once about a year and a half ago then put I into the cellar. I remember not being very excited about it.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Interesting. Irish Oak was my first non-aro, suggested by the b&m. I didn't like it at the time, but I'm sure I didn't give it a fair shot. It would be a much different experience smoking it now.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Maybe I can score a couple bowl fulls off someone before I open the tin I have. Sometimes I wish all blends were sold in bulk. Easier to sample that way.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Irish Oak now comes in 1lb bulk bags, so maybe your B and M sells it in bulk. My B and M started selling it in bulk about two months ago. It's a little pricey at $6 an ounce but two ounces is still cheaper than what they sell the tin for ($15).
As for home it tastes, I recently sampled some very dry Clan, which I thought was pretty horrid. I guess the flavoring of Clan is sherry, as Irish Oak to me tastes very similar. Irish Oak is not as terrible as the Clan of course, but I didn't find it great.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Irish Oak now comes in 1lb bulk bags
I know what to ask for this Christmas.
Look, fellas... the 'Oak is a bit of a particular taste, but it's a good one. I don't taste the sherry, just a vinegar taste, but I haven't tried sherry since Dave Feingold and I tried to get crocked on my Mom's cooking sherry and some Mogen-David he found in the basement back in '84 or so. I taste sweet Virginias, a light bittersweet fruitiness, and a rich dark undertone. It's an acquired taste in the best way, meaning it took me about halfway through the tin to realize I really liked it, so you have to be persistent and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.