Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
After smoking a tin of Dunhill Navy Rolls, I decided to take a chance on the only belend with Perique in it that I can buy locally. I'm 4 bowls in and I must say it's a very enjoyable smoke; quite thick and creamy with a nice spicy hint every now and then. I'm not sure which one I like more, but I think that I'm onto a winner of an everyday smoke. Might have to get some pure perique to blend with it to see what happens though.

lordwolf

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2013
United States
Man I had a bad experience with this smoke. Of course I think it was a combination of things that made it bad. My batch was way too dry and I was in a stressful situation in which I smoked too many bowls too fast. Made me sick. But I do feel like I need to give it another go.

hesed

Lurker
Feb 11, 2013
I got a tin of it for Christmas and it was as dry as a brick. I used those little hydrating disks to give it some moistness and it smoked nice. It was interesting to hear that someone else had a very dry tin of it too.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Irish Oak is good. Very different from a lot of the blends out their. Very ... oaky! I don't care very much for the intense after-taste it leaves in my mouth for hours, so it's not my favorite.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
Irish Oak was one of the first tins I bought, along with Dunhill Nightcap. I enjoyed Irish Oak quite a bit. It's a pretty good VaPer, you might get a sweet hint that's almost like a licorice in it. It's goooood :D
Stay Smokin! :puffy:

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Like others I tried this early in my pipe days, I actually quite liked it - as you said, sweet with a bit of the perique spice coming through. My tin was actually quite moist, it needed a bit of drying time before smoking.

It wasn't my favourite blend so If I order some again it won't be for some time.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
It is one of my go-to smokes. A wonderful Peterson blend with a nice moderate nic-kick.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
A few months after finishing the remnants from my second tin I have finally replenished my stock of it. I kinda wish that there was some Latakia in it, I might have top get some blending Latakia to add to it when the feeling strikes.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I really like the Irish Oak, but it does have a bit of a nic hit in it, especially, apparently, for old fogies like me. Seems that I've standardized on Peterson blends as my regular go-to's: Connoisseur's, Sunset Breeze, Irish Oak & Irish Whiskey. Between them and Frog Morton Cellar, I'm set for life. :puffy:

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I picked up a tin of Irish Oak recently and I do enjoy it. I don't think it's something I will always keep on hand but I do like it.
Is it just the power of suggestion or can anyone else taste the sherry?

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
No other tobacco smacks me with nicotine like Irish Oak. Even blends that are supposed to be heavier in vitamin N, don't have as strong an effect as this one. Something about the particular chemistry of this tobacco, I guess.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
I just asked the owner of my local b+m to order this tobacco (irish oak) for me. I like the comments here regarding this tobac, i also like the oak taste that some folks detect. I would consider that taste as woody, i like woody tasting tobac without latakia. I also wonder how it would age, iam thinking irish oak would age well giving its componets. I enjoy many different types of mixtures and blends, iam not real fond of tobacs containing latakia. I also wonder how good the Irish Whiskey would be, is this tobac considered as Aromatic? I would appreciate any comments you guys have here on these Peterson toabcos.
Take Care.

Mike.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This thread illustrates well how a blend can be experienced by various people so differently, from being a

standard part of the rotation, love at first taste, to making another person sick. Irish Oak seems to be like

other really robust blends -- Royal Yacht, Triple Play, even Nightcap -- that needs to be treated with respect

and smoked slowly in small bowl pipes to get their measure. Sometimes that can make the difference between

adding an enjoyable strong blend to your rack and avoiding that blend ever after. Forums helps identify those

blends so we can give them a fair chance.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Irish Oak has been my everyday stablemate for sometime. It ages superbly and I usually have one tin open and 100 grams jarred to age. After six months it is so smooth and the Burley shines.
I have never connected with the other Pete blends. Irish Flake and Hyde Park have that Lakeland floral thing going on - to this smoker anyway. Irish whiskey is ok sweeter than the Oak, and uni flake is smokeable but somewhat tainted for me as I enjoy Erinmore Flake and I was expecting a smoke as flavoursome. I have yet to try Old Dublin or Balkan.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Mike - To go completely off-tangent, if you like the woody taste, then there is nothing like a morta pipe. I am just got my first and there is a unique woody/campfire/creosote imparted by the pipe.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Hey james80 i like Erinmore flake myself, i also mix Erinmore Mixture with McClellands Red Cake.jgriff the morta sound nice,i do not own one. Looking forward to smoking Irish Oak.
Mike.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Let us know how you get on when it arrives Mike.
James Grif - wonderful looking pipes my friend send me a picture.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I bought som Irish Oak earlier this year, or maybe last year, and I thought it was OK, but not much more than that. It does come a little dry, but not crispy, still not exactly at the moisture level I prefer. I found it to be kinda harsh, especially on the retrohale! Not a lot of flavor either. Just not my thing.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I really like Peterson's Irish Oak but find it's just a bit too robust to be a regular blend for me.

Best when sipped from a small-bowled pipe - yum!

Status
Not open for further replies.