PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Howdy Pardners,well, for first time in my life trying out that Peterson Irish flake,and while finding it tase-wise being very nice kentucky forward ,strong virginia type spicey blend with no bite,the nicotine content in it seems to be over my top,

despite the fact that in past I primarly smoked 100% strong Kentucky fired Ryo cigarettes,this bad boy is hitting me like a hammer most each time I smoke it,(sometimes a little bit of dark chocolate afterwards shaped me up again)now I wonder If This younger brother in similar genre the Mc Barens HH Bold Kentucky is likewise loaded with nicotine in Old Irish manner?But again

in its own Irish flake is very great tobacco,

any thoughts or similar experience?

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Howdy, I am a Kentucky smoker myself.

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired is what you are looking for.

Bold Kentucky is very similar in nicotine levels to Irish Flake, and I'd say it's not as tasty.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
That's a shame that your being slapped around by Irish Flake, I think it is far superior to Old Dark Fired.
A lot of folks love ODF but it just never clicked for me.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
I do agree with Hawky on the matter of taste, not many things will beat Irish Flake. Although as far as retrohaling goes, Irish Flake is not very tolerant to it.
Also, here is a little filter that showcases roughly what you are looking for.

2 of these blends are discontinued.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?Contents=Kentucky&ContentsEx=Unknown%2CPerique%2COriental%2FTurkish%2CMaryland%2CLatakia%2CJava+Leaf%2CCigar+Leaf%2CCavendish%2CBrazilian+Leaf%2CBlack+Cavendish&Strength=Medium%2CMedium+to+Strong%2CMild+to+Medium&Rating=Highly+Recommended&ReviewCount=10

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
Both IF and Bold Kentucky are heavier in nicotine than ODF. But as a hardcore dark fired burley lover, I love each of them in different ways. You might try JKP or Silver Flake, too; both contain dark fired burley but neither are as heavy in nicotine as IF or BK. I love ODF as an everyday anytime smoke; BK and IF I enjoy most after some food.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Can't really comment on Bold Kentucky as I've never tried it. But, ODK is my favorite smoke. While enjoying Irish Flake tremendously, for me it falls just a tad below ODF in my taste preferences. Would buy more of it but, as I only buy bulk, it's a bit out of my price zone on a per ounce basis.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
ODF most certainly does come in bulk-that's how I buy it. Get the ready rubbed version. But, no I was meaning Irish Flake when saying it didn't come in bulk.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Yet I find Tabac Semois of Mainil Belge and C&D Sancepolcro a bit erthier,lighter in nic departement,and not so full&Bold overall,nevertheless these comes ribbon cut ,yet contain mainly continental Eu type Kentucky leaf,

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
Irish Flake and Old Dark Fired are two of my favorites. Bold Kentucky has a lot going for it as well, but it is at least as strong as Irish Flake in terms of nicotine. I find the taste of IF and ODF to be more my style than Bold Kentucky; give Old Dark Fired a try, you won't be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.