PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've been reacquainting myself lately with Peterson Irish Flake. My earlier memories of this tobacco mostly concern its strength, which is mighty indeed.
But recently I've been smoking it slowly and just enjoying the taste. Yesterday I noticed a distinctly sugary top-note that I had never noticed before. After some more "research" and after taking a good sniff of the tin, I'm fairly certain it has some kind of anise or licorice topping to it. Anyone else want to weigh in here?

waymon

Lurker
Feb 11, 2013
Irish Flake has no toppings or added flavorings, it is made of equal proportions air-cured, flue cured, and dark fired Virginias and Burley.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, waymon. I can also read the tin. It doesn't actually say no toppings -- it just says "true to the pure, unspoilt tobacco taste." Being "true to" is open to wide interpretation. I had always taken it to mean "no toppings," but some kind of taste is definitely there (imho).

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's interesting, samcoffeeman. The only other place I've noticed it (and my experience is somewhat limited) is in Fusilier's Ration, which def has a topping, although Russ O won't say exactly what. My suspicion is that it's anise in FR. I was just struck by the similarity between it and Irish Flake (in that regard).
I'm not sure how the anise flavor would come out naturally from tobacco, but I suppose it's possible.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Does Peterson have any other blends that, without question, are anise topped?

If so the two may be made using some of the same equipment, thus a flavor transfer...even tho its not intentionally topped.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I would hope that the people that make our fine tobacco blends are smart enough to take contamination out of the equation.
Or is my faith in people too high? :|

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
people that make our fine tobacco blends are smart enough to take contamination out of the equation
I dunno, just a thought..

it was mentioned a while back that GH had so many tobaccos with the lakeland essence that all of the had a slight essence, while I have no idea if that is true, its always a possibility

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's a good point, Chris. That's definitely true for the Gawith flakes -- just being in that tiny room with all those essences floating around has to perfume everything in sight, from tobaccos to employees (I would imagine).
For me, in this case, I thought I actually tasted sugar in the smoke stream (much like you do with Fusilier's Ration, if you've tried that one).
It's funny, I never really noticed anise in tobaccos before, but a while back my 1-year old got ahold of a bottle of anise extract that my mother-in-law keeps in a bottom cabinet. When I caught him, he smelled like Fusilier's Ration! That's when I made the connection. Something very similar, though very light, seems to be in Irish Flake.

waymon

Lurker
Feb 11, 2013
Thanks, waymon. I can also read the tin

Not reading the tin, I don't have a tin. That is what I was told when I asked Peterson in a email regarding Irish Flake.

waymon

Lurker
Feb 11, 2013
Waymon, you should have said I asked Peterson and this is what they told me. I actually just sent an e-mail to Peterson with this question lol
Yea, I'm not thinking straight today. Sorry about that!!!

waymon

Lurker
Feb 11, 2013
I love Irish Flake, but never noticed an anise flavor

Me too,one of my favorites, I get a reaction when I smoke tobacco with anise, and have never had one with Irish Flake.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I never picked out anise but to me Irish Flake does have a nice range of flavors that come through. I just sum it up as "magic" :D

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Sorry about that, waymon. The person on the Peterson end must have been reading the tin. :lol:
It's interesting the different responses listed here. I've never known fermentation to produce an anise-like flavor, but it's sure possible I suppose. Any idea how that happens, roth?

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I've not noticed it either which is good because I hate licorice anything.

May 31, 2012
I've yet to try IF, so I have no actual experience. I have smoked UF and the berry topping was too much for me, overly cloying and artificial, but many people say it's a light topping or barely noticeable, so it comes down to individual palates and all that, and differing sensitivities etc.
The Kohlhase & Kopp site seems to indicate nothing about the aromatisierung (aromatization)

http://www.kohlhase-tobacco.com/site/index.php?id=155
It may be trace elements of a casing in the burley portion, I dunno?
Here's an interesting excerpt from glp

"...in fact, very few, if any, mass-produced tobaccos on the market today are NOT cased. Casing is the process of adding sugars and flavouring agents before the leaf is further processed. The raw leaf is being soaked or sprayed with a solution of sugars and flavourings like liquorice, vanilla, tonquin, and so on. The amount of sauce absorbed by the leaf depends on the method of application, the structure of the leaf, and the length of time the leaf is in contact with the sauce before further processing. The leaf is then processed as usual. It can be conditioned and cut, or pressed and held to allow further fermentation. It can be heated, steamed, toasted, or just allowed to “bulk” in the atmosphere.
Many raw tobaccos, especially burleys, are harsh, and often have poor smoking characteristics. Very few smokers have ever experienced virginias and burleys that do not have SOME sort of casing applied. It's not the casing that turns smokers of “pure” tobacco off; it's the flavourings. When used delicately, they enhance the flavour of the tobacco itself. When used heavily, as in most American style aromatic tobaccos, they can overpower the underlying tobacco flavours."

May 31, 2012
Digging thru my library, here's a few more relevant quotes on the general topic of processing, fermentation, casing and toppings:
Milton M. Sherman

"All About Tobacco"

"...the tobacco leaf is the chief source of flavor and aroma in any tobacco product, but because tobacco crops vary from year to year, flavoring supplements are necessary to help maintain a consistency in both taste and aroma."
"Virginia tobacco will accept very little of the casing sauce while Burley and Maryland tobacco can accept almost their own weight in fluids."
R.C. Hacker

"The Ultimate Pipe Book"

"...just as the curing process of briar is so crucial to the final smoking qualities of the pipe, so is the curing and fermentation process critical to the ultimate flavor that tobacco leaf will finally have in the bowl of your pipe..."
"Burley has an almost transparent flavor when used by itself, and this fact, combined with its unique ability to absorb the flavorings that are often added, makes it an excellent host and binding agent..."
Carl Ewha Jr.

"The Book of Pipes and Tobacco"

"...after the tobacco has been processed for aging it is packed in hogsheads under pressure and stored, sometimes for several years. During this period of aging, or fermentation, the tobacco undergoes chemical changes which reduce the nicotine and certain other substances in the leaf, resulting in a sweeter, mellower flavor..."
"...all of these straight Burleys are flavored, to a greater or lesser degree, by the manufacturer. except for the initial aroma, straight Burleys are pretty much the same, although their smoothness varies considerably depending on the grade of leaf used and how it is processed."
"A fine matured Virginia is somewhat analogous to an excellent Cognac. It possesses an alluring initial aroma that is neither light nor heavy and, although it is not so penetrating as the aroma of Cognac, it is similar in that both products remind one of a subtle mixture of rare fruit and spices in which no single ingredient overpowers the other."
"Subtle differences in flavor, intensity, body, and smoothness can be created from the skillful mixing and processing of these natural uncased tobaccos. English-Scottish mixtures have exceptional character. I would describe their flavor as bordering on a mixture of honey, nuts, delicate spices, and incense. While these tobaccos possess a definite natural sweetness, they would not be classified as sweet in the sense that fragrant tobaccos are sweet."
"The taste of Burley is rather bland, mainly because it has very little sugar in its chemical composition. Burley used in pipe tobacco is almost always flavored. The leaf has a good "drinking quality"..."
"...matters are further complicated by the fact that terms to describe the qualities of tobacco are loosely used within the industry. It is difficult in most instances to ascertain exactly what is in a can by reading the label."

Status
Not open for further replies.