PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I just received a Peterson Rosslare Natural 05
The inside of the chamber is completely stained like the outside all of the way to and including the very bottom
Is that normal? It seems like that would not taste so good
Thinking about returning it, what do you guys think?
PL1exEk.jpg

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
It's normal for Peterson in my experience and yes, the first few smokes can be vile. Especially if you get any juice in your mouth. The worst offender for me with this issue was a 2014 Christmas pipe I bought. I would give the shank a good clean before smoking. The good news is that this trouble is short lived.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
They dip stain pipes, like most of the other factories. However, they are supposed to cap both ends to prevent ingress. You can send it back, sure. Or you can smoke through it or remove it. If it was my pipe (and I liked it otherwise), I would plug the bowl, tape the rim and remove the bowl stain with alcohol soaked pads.
Interestingly, the Rosslare pipes currently shown on spc seem to clearly show bowl stain or bowl coats....can’t identify a rhyme or reason as to which gets what, but safe to assume the only variable is the overcoating.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Maybe you should try the Mark Twain method on that pipe:
"I always hire a cheap man--a man who doesn't amount to much, anyhow--who would be as well--or better--dead, and let him break in the pipe for me. I get him to smoke the pipe for a couple of weeks, then put in a new stem, and continue operations as long as the pipe holds together."

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Alcohol pads, followed by a hot water rinse, paper towel to ream, should remove the worst of it.

But it will cake over in a few smokes, so, really, no biggie.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I think at least that it was, and it's probably just bad luck on my part.

I had one that had a huge well, I had one that was a 9mm that wouldn't draw with a filter in place. It would have been OK with a trimmed balsa but I returned it anyway

And I had one that had a big misdrill scar in the bottom

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
4X?? All internet, right? Some of us need to see, hold and inspect before buying. No, Pete doesn't do lemons, but QC can be improved.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Alcohol pads, followed by a hot water rinse, paper towel to ream, should remove the worst of it.
I agree with this. I usually wipe the chamber 3 or 4 times with alcohol with dip stained Petes. It minimizes the initial flavor problems.
Russ

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I think you should do what makes you happy. But, if you can't find a Pete that suits your tastes, four returned, why persist in buying them? But, I don't buy pipes unfondled or uninspected closely so I've not experienced such. b You could be passing up a great pipe. Many unstained of any brand will offer up some early taste problems, it's inherent to the pipe. Usually it's the taste of briar. Meers are usually neutral from the first bowl, corn cobs are not. And, I've found most new briars taint the tobacco a bit until carboned up.
I've not broken in a new pipe in ten or so years but, the above is correct if my memory serves.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I did give up. The last attempt was probably almost 2 years ago. I thought my collection really needed a Pete in it. The Laudisi purchase sort of stirred all that up again for me. I had always bought cheap ones, while most everyone else says the ones that aren’t the bottom of the line are not typically flawed. This one is spot on everything except the stain on the inside, which I can get over. It has an incredible grain.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
After the alcohol scrub prescribed, could you sand it down a little besides? I'd really resent having to manufacture the pipe for the pipe maker, but in this case, I'd do it. It looks like a fine pipe, had it been properly finished. With Laudisi now in charge of things, perhaps they can prompt better procedures and quality control. These kinds of experiences have to be a drag on sales. There's a Pete I'd like to buy, but I don't know now.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Alexnc, my first pete was dip stained and coated. Peterson uses the least appetizing recipe for bowl coating I’ve yet experienced. Anyway, all off tastes were gone in about a half dozen bowls though only the first 2-3 were especially strong. I suspect things might be a little better in your case as long as the shank is unstained, which can be addressed with alcohol and a good shank brush but is a little less convenient than stripping a bowl.
On the microscopically small chance you aren’t yet aware, SPC will take any pipe off the shelf and inspect it according to your requests. Might offer a little reassurance for a future pete purchase.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think the changes (if any) resulting from the Laudisi purchase won't be seen till several months from now. It'll take time for the pre-purchase stock to be sold off.

Status
Not open for further replies.