PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chagovatoloco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2013
I have become very intrigued with Peterson's vintage house pipes. Since these are very hard to find and not made anymore. I was wondering if anyone makes a reproduction stem that would work with a system pipe.
Peterson3patentHouse.JPG

nicko

Lurker
Dec 13, 2016
Chago can you give us an update? A picture? I'm looking to do the same thing. Looking forward to a follow up.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's Jim Lilly's article on the House Pipes

https://pipedia.org/wiki/A_Closer_look_at_the_Peterson_House_Pipes
Lindner has one available

http://www.thepiperack.com/peterson-house-pipe-xxl-bent-smooth-terracotta-unsmoked/
Lilley's blog entry.

http://thepetersoncollector.blogspot.com/2010/08/irelands-giants.html

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
I have always loved the look of these long house pipe stems.
For reference, these first showed up (as far as I know) in the 1896+/- Patent Catalog and could be custom ordered for any bowl shape (according to the catalog), not just for large bowled pipes. While most associate them with the large bowled "House Pipes", use on only the large bowled pipes was apparently not the only application for these long stems. And just to be clear, House Pipes are indeed still produced - it's these House Pipe Mouthpieces that are not.

I have never seen one of these House Pipe Mouthpieces in person (not for lack of trying) and sure would love to own one - holy grail indeed for any Pete collector... I do remember someone on one of the pipe forums (no idea where) did have one made for a pipe - I'll see if I can find that post and link it.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Given that Peterson hasn't made one like this in like 80 years, assume that there isn't a pile of old stock stems around. To make one, you are looking at probably 22 or even 25 mm rod stock. There's about 40 bucks in material right there, never mind trying to copy/manufacture the metal spigot. Cutting churchwarden-length stems from stock is a huge pain, tough to drill, tough to shape. If someone really wanted me to make one, it would probably cost a couple hundred bucks. Few people are willing to spend 250 bucks to make a copy of a historical relic.
So that's why there aren't a pile floating around, and it's also why just about every churchwarden you see has the same skinny stem or a subtle variant of it - they are painful to make by hand - much easier to cast a production stem and use that (as STanwell, Savinelli etc do).

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
I think you are right on the money with your comments Sasquatch.
And, if it is a P-Lip you are wanting on it, it get's even more complex / expensive. In fact, several well known pipe restorers I have dealt with will flat out tell you "no" to hand making a P-Lip of any size, mostly due to the odd off angle drilling necessary where the air hole exits the p-lip (if done correctly).
Some day... the hunt is almost as fun as the find, so I'll keep looking and hoping.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I have made a handful of p-lips, and they are a challenge for sure. I have gotten the thing roughly in shape and bent the last 1/4" up to get the hole to be in the top of the tip, then finished the shaping. It's not a ton of fun. So yes, hunt on, it truly is one of the Holy Relics of pipedom!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nomenclature confuses the term "house pipes," which often refers to a pipe made by a large pipe maker for a pipe shop or other organization for their name stamp. Whereas these were larger pipes meant to be smoked in the house. But also, were done as a specialty item for Bonds of Oxford St., though it doesn't say if Bonds or Peterson had their name stamped. They are impressive briars, good to know about. I have some extra large bowl pipes, but probably not quite on this scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.