PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

critter

Lurker
Oct 5, 2015
Because of a change in my work life, this is the first Christmas I have been able to afford a nice pipe. I ended up purchasing a 2015 holiday pipe, and I thought I might as well get a matching tin of go with it. I have always smoked older OTC estate pipes, and saved my dollars for good tobacco.
I don't know if it is just my perceived value or not but I am sort of obsessed with this tobacco! It's a cool smoke, that seems to be unlike anything I have ever tried. I don't smoke very many aromatics because of the awful flavor of the second half of the bowl. This particular tobacco though never came into the burnt oil phase.
Am I just making this up because it's my first "nice" pipe, or is this tobacco just different than most? Does the flavor change year to year for this stuff? I'm thinking of stocking up if they change the blend year to year.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I seem to get bite with aromatics, no matter which one. I can enjoy them now and then, but when I get to brushing my teeth, the sting is really uncomfortable. I first noticed that with a Peterson holiday blend. The flavorings they tend to use, like cinnamon, really do a chemical burn on me. Funny, because I can smoke some rip-snorting blends, non-aros, and find them great tasting and get no bite at all. But I'll smoke a mild aro with no nicotine to speak of and get scorched. So it's not my thing, but it may be yours.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Critter they change every year. So 2015's is not the same as 2014's.
As far as aro's go Peterson makes some of the best. If you liked their holiday one you should try the special reserve and the summer time.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
I am really enjoying the Holiday Season 2015 as well. Peterson's does strike a good balance between tobacco taste and the casing for my tastes and this one is no exception.
+1 on trying some of their other limited releases. I really enjoyed the 2015 St. Patrick's day blend and apparently it sold very well - Peterson's has just re-released it as Founder's Choice, give it a shot as well.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I'm not a big Aero smoker I do from time to time but not my go to. I tried the St. Patty's Day blend, it made my mouth itch. You might also try the C&D Days of Yore

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Good to hear you are enjoying this blend. I bought a tin of it too but I'm waiting till December to try it. :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
But I'll smoke a mild aro with no nicotine to speak of and get scorched.
That's adding insult to injury.
I have the same issue. Virginias has a certain bite if you accidentally puff too fast, but arobite is something entirely worse. It's like a nerve pain or numbness with a tingly zap. No fun.
In addition, most aros just gross me out, the same reason I avoid colas, sugary barbecue (yuk) and donuts from mix with frosting colors not found in nature.
I am sure Peterson makes a good one, however. So does H&H. But hell no. On a philosophical level, that of biochemistry, and in aesthetics, I oppose them. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.