PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
IMG_0319_zps574df2ec.jpg

I've been detecting a bit of angst in the forums concerning Those Peterson's pipes. I'm not denying there's quality control issues or whatever but there is also a huge quantity of great Petes in rotation. I love mine!
IMG_0322_zps4511c4b2.jpg

Premier Collection:
IMG_0321_zpsce71ea7e.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have a couple Petes and LOVE them.Granted,they are estates,but don't condem all...

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
Nice rotation of Peterson's! Happy you shared all the pictures.
I know everybody has different experiences made up of both good and bad; I have been smoking Peterson Pipes for over 15 years. Never had a problem yet and when I couldn't locate a certain pipe here in the States, I contacted Peterson of Dublin directly and they sold me the pipes I wanted for a fair retail price plus shipping.
These are just my experiences I wanted to share. Cheers! :puffpipe:

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Some of my favorite pipes are Peterson Pipes. I can't say enough good about them. I likely have more Pete's than any other single brand.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I had to return my Peterson System Standard 305 4 times!!! In order to get one without severe flaws, settled with one tha thas 6 fills and a bowl that is not cut completely round (almost jagged), it was the best out of all 5 pipes! With that out of the way, it burned super hot forever and now that it is finally broken in, it is a nice cool smoke and smokes the best out of all my pipes.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Funny you mention that, Eric. I have but one Peterson: a large-bowled Dublin. It's engineered well enough, but man is it a hot smoker. Smokes far more hot than other pipes of comparable wall thickness. I wonder why that is? Other than that, I like the pipe well enough in fit and finish.
Overall, I'm not experienced enough with Peterson to be a hater (or a lover). But I take a philosophical position against an Irish company that ships production out to another country. Craft them domestically and, if costs are higher, articulate a compelling value proposition to justify the higher price. If you can't, stop making pipes and make something else of value. If you can make nothing of value, find something else to do. That's what's wrong with this world: no respect for craftsmanship. It's "how can I make a buck today". Bah!

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
My first pipe (other than a drug store Grabow) was a Peterson and while the Grabow left something to be desired of my first pipe experience, the Pete really helped to peak my interest in pipe smoking after it delivered such a great first smoke. I currently own two Peterson pipes but I'm constantly fighting of the urge to buy several more. They've been great to me and I wouldn't hesitate buying several more despite the recent hate they've received on the forums.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks guys for the comments! I had fun setting up the photos for this post. The post the other day about photographing pipes got me worked up to get out some pipes and do some shots for you guys.
My advice to a new piper that's got an eye on a Pete is go for it. As the others have said if you can't check out the pipe in person before buying work with a reputable dealer like one of the site sponsors. I'm confident they'll take care of us.

Dec 24, 2012
I have a Peterson House pipe. Smokes like a dream. I see SP just posted a couple of new ones. Would highly recommend one.

atboth

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2012
Going out on a limb here, but maybe the problem is that the people actually making the pipes are getting older and older. The economic miracle of the nineties and two thousands likely spurred people to take other jobs than trainee in a pipe factory. And, given that anything worth doing well takes time to learn, it may be a question of not enough trained craftsmen still blessed with acute eye-sight.
That last is probably the key factor. Most people cannot see proportional mistakes, lack of symmetry, or other glaring blemishes.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I have a number of Petes and have issues with a good many of them. The newer ones specifically. I have a pre-Republic that is very small but just the ticket for a short smoke. I have a Galway that smokes excellent as well as a Canadien that is outstanding. The other ones will take years to break in I guess. Some of the newer ones smoke better than others. The one Eric talked about is one I have also and it smokes hotter than a two peckered billy goat so doesn't get much use.

Status
Not open for further replies.