Peterson Gold Spigot "Dublin" (shape 120)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This pipe has always mystified me because its model is its shape. It's just stamped "Dublin", not "Deluxe" or "Supreme" or whatever.
If forced to choose, I like a Dunhill-style forward bowl tilt better than the 120's more upright Italian-y vibe, but obviously not enough to keep me from getting this one. :lol:
It's one of those pipes that seems to have an onboard temperature control computer. Never gets hot, never seems to go out. :puffy:
I included a shot of the proof marks in case it will help date the pipe. I bought it about 11 years ago, but got the feeling at the time it might have been new old stock.
40.6 grams, 5.5" long
P1020248.jpg

P1020250.jpg

P1020253.jpg

P1020255.jpg

PB233759.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
What a great looking piece again with an eye pleasing grain,moreover,I can't help wondering why most all new Petersons and many other brands weigh considerably more in comparision with those older producted ones.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I can't help wondering why most all new Petersons and many other brands weigh considerably more in comparision with those older producted ones.
Good question. Have you tested that with a sensitive scale, though? Briar is pretty much just briar. If you cook it in an oven to get it bone dry, for example, it re-hydrates over time; and working with it when it's too wet to start with is effectively impossible. Ending up with something either side of an average range would take some work (so to speak).
Some briar blocks are naturally more dense than others, but the difference never seemed to me more than about ten percent.
What you say does make me wish I'd weighed all my unsmoked/new pipes when I first bought them, though. Maybe the heat of smoking makes them lighter over time with use? (never thought of that before...)

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
George

Assuming that it is an O in the hallmark that would be for year 2000,so yes new old stock

https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Dates/Dublin.html
I know this link is for silver but the year marks are the same for gold
the best website for irish marks is http://www.assay.ie/ but unfortunately it is currently under reconstruction.

This one is good for Uk marks http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http:/www.britishhallmarkingcouncil.gov.uk/publications/hallmarks2.pdf

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I do love a crossgrain. Man that's pretty. :clap:
Agreed.
Many smokers think of bulky, deeply bent pipes when they hear the word "Peterson", but the reality is that many small(ish) straight and shallowly bent pipes are also in their catalog.
They're ALMOST elegant, but not quite, and that's what makes them attractive. Like a beautiful girl with slightly crooked teeth.
If I were forced to give up the Dunhill half of my collection or the Peterson half, I truly don't know what I'd do. Downton Abbey sophistication? Or well-executed workingman practicality and solid design?
All I can think of is it's as a good thing I DON'T have to decide. :lol:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I only have one Pete, a B56, and though it's a beast, it's made me a believer in their pipes. Eyeballing a deerstalker right now.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
If there's one thing I've learned about George from these posts, it's that he and I have very similar taste.
The pretty girl with crooked teeth comparison is one I use. I think a little snaggletooth lends great character to an otherwise "perfect" face.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've noticed wide variations in briar weight between pipes of approximately the same size. For a time, Johs had an inventory of briar that was extremely light weight for its size. Other pipes are rather weighty for their size. So the briar-is-briar thesis doesn't at all match my experience. I also note that the extra light weight briar seems to be as durable and non-burning as the heavier briar. For clenching, and just for general smoking, light weight can be a pleasing luxury.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I've noticed wide variations in briar weight between pipes of approximately the same size. For a time, Johs had an inventory of briar that was extremely light weight for its size. Other pipes are rather weighty for their size. So the briar-is-briar thesis doesn't at all match my experience. I also note that the extra light weight briar seems to be as durable and non-burning as the heavier briar. For clenching, and just for general smoking, light weight can be a pleasing luxury.
We might be talking about different things, mso.
The only way to determine what I'm referring to---how much the weight a given volume of USED briar varies---isn't practical, though.
It would require taking a large number of "industry random" stummels that had been smoked some minimum number of times with the same tobacco, stored in the same location, and rested between smokes for the same length of time, then ream them back to wood and weigh each one on a sensitive scale. Then, submerge them one at a time in a liquid to measure their exact volume a la Archimedes, and do the math to determine each stummel's weight in grams per cubic centimeter (or ounces per cubic inch, etc.)
My intuition says it wouldn't vary as much as most smokers think. My guess is around 10%.

Status
Not open for further replies.