Peterson Estate Restoration, B&A pics..so far

(11 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by smokenscotch
  • Latest reply from smokenscotch
  1. smokenscotch

smokenscotch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello all. I promised I would post the pics of the restoration of the 9 pipes I received from an old neighbour approx a month ago. I have finished a few but I only have pics of the Peterson I recently did so far. I will show all of them at a later date. The stem took quite some work but turned out great. I had to do numerous alcohol and salt treatments as well. The only thing I haven't done is the outside of the bowl which I could use some advice. I have heard of using 600 grit sandpaper, and then use a litte olive oil to bring the grain out. However, if I did this, do you wipe off the olive oil, or do you let it set into the wood? Also, I wouldn't want to change the colour by staining it with too dark a stain. Any advice? You can see some bad wear around the rim of the bowl so I would like to get it back to great condition. So far, I'm very pleased. It is a Peterson Delux 12 1/2 S. Not sure of the age, I will have to ask my old neighbour if she's remembers. Enjoy.

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dont know enough to help with your questions, just wanted to say looks awesome already.

"You have to be a man first before you're a gentleman. "

John Wayne
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. olderthandirt

OTD

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whole new pipe with the clean up of the stem and shank collar!
    I'll be watching this thread as well for advice on how to treat the briar.

Snus, snuff and briar.
    Not much more required in a day.
    Brian from Oregon USA
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. smokenscotch

smokenscotch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Dervis and OTD. This was my first one ever. I found it really enjoyable and relaxing working on the pipe.

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Check the hall marking to find out its age. Phenomenal Pipe, I am more than a little envious.

In a society that has destroyed all adventure, the only adventure left is to destroy that society.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like that the before pic was taken on a well loved work bench type table.

And the after pic was on a nice shiny glass table. Haha. Really contributes to the nice job you did.

I still havn't gotten a fixer upper yet... Eventually though.

Great job!

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. dylan793

Dylan

Login to Send PM

I second marmal4de's suggestion on checking how old it is. Theres a hallmark/dating chart on the official Peterson website to find out. Excellent job so far bringing that one back from the dead!

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

you did a good job on the refurb. iam working on two as we speak. i may have to go back to one of the stems, i still see alitlle oxidation on one of them... i hope it smokes good for you. i do not what to do with the outside of the bowl. i have heard something about olive oil on the outside of the bowl. i think i would use a finer grit of sand paper, then apply the olive oil.

moke.

Posted 7 years ago #
  9. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful job mate!

I, personally, do not wax the bowls of my pipes at all. I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil on them. On the bowls that I remove the wax and stain from, down to the bare wood, I put on a coat of the Olive Oil, let it soak in and then put on another coat and rub it in. If I am just putting a coat on the bowls that are stained and or waxed, I just give them a rub with the Olive Oil and put them in the rack.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  10. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice work on the stem and ring !

Sorry, no advice on the bowl from me either.

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. smokenscotch

smokenscotch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the advice and kind remarks. Spartan, funny you picked that up. I truly didn't do that on purpose, but i'm glad I did now. My workbench is in my basement where i started but when I finished the pipe, the flash was too bright with the silver band so I brought it upstairs with natural light and that's where our table bar is. Good observation.

The date appears to be 1985. It is a U shape and that could mean 1962 or 1985 but I think it's 85 due to the smaller u.

Posted 7 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   methomp, pitchfork