PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Hey Guys, I posted earlier in the week about a Pete I got off of ebay. It came today and after some internet work I dated it from around 1945 to 1947. It is a Peterson Shamrock 999. It was actually lightly used for its age, but the oxidation was really heavy and took lots of elbow grease to get off. I use Barkeeper's friend and scrub off all of the oxidation by hand. Then I use a buffing wheel and white diamond polish to polish the stem. I put a new coat of carnuba wax on the bowl and polished it as well as a light reaming and interior cleaning of stem and bowl with Everclear. Here are the before, in process, and after pics. Enjoy!
Before

45d6304c.jpg

56f9e0d6.jpg

68c7da1b.jpg

c0a38d67.jpg

Stem in process:

4e408a83.jpg

cca04a4f.jpg

Final result:

efc9df79.jpg

ae355f34.jpg

147286c4.jpg

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I love p lips. But they can feel a bit oversized in between the teeth on the bit. It does take a little bit to get used to. Great for when you have tungue burn.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Another great restoration. I do love seeing you guys work your magic on these old pipes. What do you think of the P-lip? It's not everyone's cup of tea but I like mine.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Well I have to say that I like the P-lip. It is different but the pipe is actually a great clencher and breathes really well. This is a great addition to my regular rotation.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah it is a great shape, perfect for clenching and feels good in the hand. It has a really nice draw too, hard to believe how much pipes transform with a little care, I couldn't wait to get home and restore it back to its former glory. And now its a beautiful smoker once again and also the oldest pipe in my collection.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Thanks, yeah ive been wanting an early Pete and this one is in super condition, no bite marks and it has a very nice grain.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Ok so I have decided that I love the plip, i love the shape more than anything and how i can really clench it well. The plip makes me want to smoke more.

Status
Not open for further replies.