PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doughboi

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Evening all,
Just wondering if any of you fine folks have any experience with the Peterson Dracula Range of pipes? I'm positive that they won't be to everyone's taste, but they look quite interesting! One for the collection!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think Peterson is done making the Dracula pipes, so if you like them, now is the time to purchase one. They still

seem to run about $100, and you might find one for somewhat less, especially if you buy an estate pipe. Most of

the comment on them has been favorable. I don't own one. I think I saw one or two comments on Forums about

them smoking a little wet, but depending on the blend and the smoker, this would likely happen with any pipe series.

If you like them, I'd go for it. They won't be around as new pipes for too much longer.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I have a 999 ebony. Best smoker in my collection dedicated to jf germain Rich Dark Flake. I was told it was Peterson's best selling range in 2012.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Who would have thought a reference to vampires would sell? And I guess Ollie has trouble selling "zombie" pipes. :wink:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It's actually a in honor of Bram Stoker. He wrote Dracula and lived in Dublin. I believe he passed away in 1912, hence the reason they released the pipe in 2012.
I got mine in early 2013. It's a smooth 03 full bent apple. It smokes really well. I'd definitely recommend buying one if the look appeals to you.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I have 3 Draculas, an "01" 3/4 bent Pot, an "03" 3/4-full bent Apple, and a "606" straight Pot. All 3 of mine are excellent smokers!

The "03" is a dedicated Virginia pipe, and the "01" and "606" are dedicated English/Balkan pipes.

lockdown199

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 28, 2013
I have the 2012 Bent Billiard, It smokes well. It's a thick pipe and a little on the heavy side for me, it isn't my everyday pipe more of a oh I forgot I had that kind of pipe.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I've been looking at them for some time now and I'm still on the fence. However if I had decided to pull the trigger, I'm positive there would've been no room for disapointment.

doughboi

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Yeah I really like them, and they seem to have good reviews! A tobacconist near me has them all in stock and boxed new (2012) for £40 a go! Might have to get one ;)

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I am with pete03, the sandblasts seem to look the best. I was wanting to get a 106 (billiard) or 606 (pot) in this series but my Peterson rack is full. The Tinderbox we have up here, that actually caters to pipe and cigar smokers, has the series. They are all constructed very well. The engineering in them is top notch.
Just make sure to ask questions if you order online, just to make sure. Make sure the engineering is correct and it will pass a cleaner, etc.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I have 3 of the Drac series: two billiards (because they are such great smokers), a 69 bent billiard, and a forthcoming apple. I recommended this pipes unreservedly. The stems vary a lot, and I think the best ornate stems are gone, but don't let that stop you--they are magnificent!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I am blaming this thread and all you dirty rotten scoundrels who have contributed to it for my next PAD, because it very well might be one of these. I LOVE these pipes and have had my eye on one (i like the straight billiard) since i started smoking a pipe. I would say to listen to those who responded and GET ONE NOW. The red and black with the white swirl in the stem goes together like mashed potatoes and gravy. Beautiful line by Peterson's and i have no idea why they would be discontinuing it, as it seems to be pretty popular and successful.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
I missed out on one for sale here last week. Peterson is about the only mainstream pipe manufacturer that I don't own. Been wanting a Dracula to dedicate to Nosferatu blend. Sounds like a perfect match made in hell.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
smokingpipes.com has Dracula pipes in several shapes for (hope I remember correctly) $104, so you might

want to compute the exchange rate from UK, add shipping, and see which is better. These seem to be the

most popular series Peterson has had since I've been pipe shopping. I did buy one series pipe from the

Around the World range, the pipe for Ireland, which is a bulldog, which I enjoy very much. It has that Peterson

heft, without being an unduly big pipe. I suspect by next year (by which I mean 2015) most Dracula pipes will

be on the estate market, but people seem to really like them and there may not be much available for a while

after that.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
@petes03 Will the "03" easily take a cleaner while assembled? Looking at a Blasted 03 and just curious...
I am "looking" at an "03" but what I really want and can't seem to find is a Blasted 221. If anyone comes across a nice, craggy looking one with lots of black swirls in the bit... Would be much obliged. :) Never smoked a Pete and curious about how easy it is to pass a cleaner through a 221 as well.
Thanks, Ron

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@metarzan. As with any 3/4- full bent pipe, not all of them will pass a cleaner. I have 6 "03's", some have a deeper bend to the stem than others. The ones with shallower bends will pass a cleaner with some finagling. I own somewhere between 20-25 bent pipes, from all different makers (including some pricey ones) and it's usually a toss up as to wether they will or not. For what it's worth, none of my "03's" gurgle.

Status
Not open for further replies.