Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Not much to say about a Pete 999 that hasn't already been said. Easily one of the most popular pipes ever made (meaning in the well-liked sense, not necessarily the total number produced).
This one has a capital "N" over a capital "L" with a horizontal line between them stamped on the brand side. No idea what that means. :?:
I also have a thin shank 999 and have handled a quite a few sumo-shankers, but think I like the medium one best. (Visual balance matters a lot to an annoying corner of my brain that never shuts up)
The stem here is not original, but that's true of every Pete I have that came with a P-lip. My mouth doesn't like 'em.
48.0 grams, 5.25" long
DSC00017.jpg

DSC00021.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The block format COM was used between '47 to '49.
Later they stamped their pipes with "Made in Ireland" in a circle format (1945?-1947?) and still later with "Made in Ireland" in a block format (1947?-1949). The "Made in Ireland" block format came in either one line or two lines.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No pre-Republic, but I do have a Killarney 999 with my only P-Lip. It's a fine smoker, but that's a little more bit than I'd want on more than one pipe. Has a pleasing reddish stain, dark.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
George, do believe the girth of the pipe you show here is the same as an older Dublin and London 1 I own. So, you've seen them fatter? Do love the fatter bent Rhodesians. If I understood Mark Irwin's blog posts on the subject, the earlier fat bent Rhodesians were called John Bulls. While the later, somewhat thinner ones were noted to be XL 999's. I suppose mine would be the XL 999 but do not know for sure.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This is my 999 Sterling (Pre-Republic), it's slightly fatter and more compact than the Deluxe below it (also pre-Republic)

The Deluxe has the same stamping as George's pipe, block "Made In Ireland", used from 47-49.
The Sterling has the round "Made In Ireland", used from 45-47.

Status
Not open for further replies.