PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
Hi all,
I've been enjoying my Peterson Dublin B15 for more than 6 months now. I am about to purchase my second one, but I am undecided between the shapes. Currently there is a good discount on Orange Army line, so I've decided on them.
Do you have any opinion about the positives/negatives about any of the shapes?
Orange Army 106: https://www.pfeifen-huber.de/pfeifen/pfeife-peterson/pfeife-peterson-sterling-silber-106.html

Orange Army 999: https://www.pfeifen-huber.de/pfeifen/pfeife-peterson/pfeife-peterson-sterling-silber-army-999.html

Orange Army 87: https://www.pfeifen-huber.de/pfeifen/pfeife-peterson/pfeife-peterson-sterling-silber-army-87.html

Orange Army 03: https://www.pfeifen-huber.de/pfeifen/pfeife-peterson/pfeife-peterson-sterling-silber-army-03.html
To be honest, I would prefer a smaller bowl, but it's not a deciding factor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm fond of my 999 (Killarney) though I'd go with the fishtail bit. I don't own a 106, but I like the billiards. I've been well pleased with my Petersons. Another favorite is the B11 bent volcano sitter, and I've asked for a B10 briar calabash for Christmas. I have several others, all good.

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
@mso489
Now that you mention Calabash, I have to correct my initial post. The Peterson I own is a Dublin B10, not B15. So a bent Calabash and I love it. That's why I stick to Petersons.
I thing I've made up my mind for the 999. I'll let you know as soon as I order :)

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
For a smaller bowl, I love the 03 shape. If you like billiards, have a look at the 14 shape too, its a smaller pipe and I find it clenches absolutely effortlessly.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
In my feeble mind, the 03 and the 68 spigots are classic Pete shapes.

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
Took me a while to finally decide. I've ordered the 999 shape. And some tobacco (Connoisseur's Choice and Irish Dew Mixture), and this nice pouch: https://zqbp9a.c2.acecdn.net/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/image/700x700/e9c3970ab036de70892d86c6d221abfe/M/X/MXVY1QKSBLH.jpg
Thank you all for your inputs.

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
Thank you.
I love my Peterson pipe so far, so I know the quality is good. I also highly appreciate Connoisseur's Choice. Irish Dew will be a new experience. I also like Old Dublin, but it's too cold to smoke it outside, and indoors it's not pleasant for the other inhabitants :)

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
By the way, any thoughts about the Army mount? I never had or seen one. I've read that you can open the pipe while it's hot?!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Army mounts, military mounts and spigot mounts can all be taken apart while hot. I love the ones I have. I really like the way they look as well.

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
Thank you. Yes it is a great deal. I was looking for an Aran when I've spotted the deal on their website.
I do live in Germany for some years now.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Very cool. I married a German lady and find myself living, unexpectedly, in Germany as well. You may be aware that there are some truly great pipe tobacco offerings here. TAK, HU, and Peter Heinrichs come immediately to mind. Indeed the Pfeifen Huber house blends are very nice too (Epikur plug is a nice version of Samuel Garith's Full Virginia Plug).

Anyhow, here's wishing you many enjoyable smokes with your new pipe!

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
biosharkdev, congratulations on an excellent choice! I have a soft spot for Petes, and you could hardly go wrong with any of the choices. I love the 03, how it hangs, fits in my hand, it just seems like a wonderful pipe to me. I have wanted a 999 for while but have not pulled the trigger yet. The Pete silver Army mount is a pipe I would again love to own. Sometimes to me the Pete Army mount looks lopsided. It has to do with the stain and stem color I believe. This combination is one that does not look that way to me. As ashdigger indicated you can take apart an Army and Spigot while "hot".
The story, I have been told, is the Army mount came about so that if in the middle enjoying your pipe the enemy had the audacity, lack of breeding, and piss poor manners to fire at you. You could quickly take your pipe apart, store it safely, and bring up his lack of breeding quickly and efficiently.
The Spigot supposedly came about in the trenches of WWI. Soldiers used fired brass to repair broken pipes. I have seen a few photos of pipes repaired as a Spigot. Quite ingenious I thought.

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
@fordm60
Thank you. I also like the Petes. Hopefully I'll use it for a long time. I've ordered the Silver Army because it was too good of an offer to pass. Plus it looks awesome.
Thank you for the back-story :) I've also read about it a bit, but still, not enough. At least now I've found a new research idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.