PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Before putting down the $$$ for a Peterson, I'd like to try the "system" or "well" design. What are some knock-offs of the Peterson?

I know of...

Kaywoodie Chesterfield

Wellington
others?

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Ok then, So some Petersons have the bent stem and the silver collar which I know have the "well system" but some are straight(fishtail I think its called) Do these still have the "well"?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I've got about 7 systems. I don't notice them smoking any cooler or drier honestly.
But I very much enjoy them. I think the plip vs fishtail is a bigger adjustment to get used too. That and not all plips are made equal IMO.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have an estate Peterson 315 system pipe that I think is great! I love to smoke the thing. The draw is wonderful, and it is a very dry smoke. What I don't like about it is that it makes a teaspoon of water very single time I smoke it. So I have to drain it every time, and the liquid stains the nickel cap. ANd it does take a little extra effort to keep clean. For all that, I like it, and smoke it often, but I don't like it enough to buy any more of them.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
Would the Dr. Grabow Omega be considered a Peterson knock off? It has the P-Lip and military bit. I am not sure about the "system".

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
The Omega does not have a dry system nor does it have a filter. My Omega is one of my go to pipes, especially if I am out and about. They are very inexpensive pipes and you don't get excited if you ding or scratch it. They are an excellent pipe for the money.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I have half a dozen Pete systems. I don't consider them $$$ even bought new, as my other pipes are mainly Ser Jac, Castello, Radice, Mastro de Paja and their ilk. Every one of my Petes I had to drill out the draft hole and deepen the moisture well before they would work as promised. And although the wells do collect moisture, it doesn't stop them from gurgling. Moisture condenses at the end of the tenon (even though I chamfered them), so I either have to use a pipe cleaner, or, since it's a military bit, remove the stem mid-smoke and shake/blow out the droplets. My Petes are good smokers all (now that I corrected the QC flaws), but if you're buying them primarily for the promises of the so-called dry system, I think you will be disappointed.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Great input! I mised a Kaywoodie Chesterfield that sold for $26.00 and minor shipping. I can see the problems of cleaning the well after looking at Peterson diagrams and the Chesterfield's "system". With your comments Im now looking for any system pipe to simply give it a try.
Missing in comments so far is what brands/models have a "system" and/or "well" in the bowl.
PS: Thx lurch76

Status
Not open for further replies.