PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Do you find Petes much more difficult to break in than other pipes. Currently trying a New Peterson Atlantic, like all Peterson pipes I own, the first month is a truly horrible experience. The pipes give off a bitter metallic taste. Thereafter, they smoke like a dream.
Never experience this with any other pipe I own.

Jun 4, 2014
I think it depends on the individual pipe. I have a Aran D9 and a Wicklow D6, both with standard length stems. They both smoked like champs from the first bowl. My Kinsale XL20 took a while to break in.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
New Petersons come with a horrific bowl coating. Wipe it out with an alcohol soaked cloth (careful on the finish!). I use a piece of paper towel, screw it into the bowl and use something to twist it around (I use a socket extension). That should rectify your problem.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
My first pipe was a Silver Spigot B2 and it was brutal for a while there. I was determined, so it didn't run me off. However, if I could classify a pipe as "for experienced smokers only," I would definitely put new Peaterson pipes at the top of that list. (By the way, my spigot smokes like a dream now.)

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
It's probably their super-secret-mixture bowl-coating stinking up your olfactory bulbs.
OR it's their dip-stained interior chamber (which is basicially immersing the entire pipe (stummel) in stain) Smoking the stain out of that baby may take a while .......and turn your face green.
OR it's the bowl-coating plopped over the top of the dip stain....giving you the double whammy.
IMO there's nothing worse than trying to kick back and enjoy a nice bowl of tobacco and having to deal with foul orders....directly associated with poor craftsmanship.
Then again I reckon' I could be wrong.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I use 80 grit sandpaper to remove the coating.
Then use a drill bit to ream out and remove any stain from the inside of the shank.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I use 80 grit sandpaper to remove the coating.
New Petersons come with a horrific bowl coating. Wipe it out with an alcohol soaked cloth (careful on the finish!). I use a piece of paper towel, screw it into the bowl and use something to twist it around (I use a socket extension). That should rectify your problem.
Then again, why should one have to take the trouble of doing so as I've never had to do that with any other pipe.

Ergo... the reason I'll never purchase another Peterson.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Quite recently I bought a Peterson Aran 80s. It did come with a coated bowl. The bowl did not seem to be dip-stained though. I made a small scratch in the coating and put a flashlight to the stem and there was only naked briar. Didn't notice any real foul notes during the initial smokes. But I am a novice so maybe I just didn't know what to look for either.. :puffpipe:
it is drilled off-center, the 80s are bent and through some searching I found that they all seem to be drilled at the very top of the mortise

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
They seem to be getting better on the dip stain but the bowl coating can leave a lot to be desired. I will typically smoke a new Pete a few times then rub an alcohol soaked bristle cleaner through the stem until it comes out clean. Let dry then smoke a few more bowls and repeat the alcohol process in the stem again.
I've only had to sand out the bowl coating a few times over the years though.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
it is drilled off-center, the 80s are bent and through some searching I found that they all seem to be drilled at the very top of the mortise
Yes, I have this too. The hole in the tenon is off center too. Why? This pipe will never pass a pipe cleaner.
My Kinsale XL20 took a while to break in.
My Kinsale is also proving very hard to break-in.

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
All of my Pete's (I own 7) were all slow to break in, but once they did, they all delivered (and still deliver) a fine smoke. One of my favs is the Tankard, but I'm not a fan of the p-lip at all and also find some of their vulcanite bits too thick for my tastes. That being said, once the bowls are properly broken in, they are some of my best smokers.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I just load them up and smoke away, no problem. I have about 20 Petes and have never encountered the problems some seem to have. I prefer the p-lip bit but some are fishtails.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
hi i got a question,

i recently bought a peterson premier 303. and i have a little bit of trouble to get a cake going on the bottom of the bowl.

when i inspected it, i saw that the bowl is about 1-2mm lower than the draft hole. so the tobacco doesn't burn properly at the 1-2mm distance and doesn't create a cake.

is that normal?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Can't say if that's normal for all Petersons, but it's how I prefer them drilled.
Cake at the bottom couple of mm's is undesirable for the way I smoke, and overrated for most others' smoking, unless they insist on burning hot to the bitter end. (Literally and figuratively).

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
aaah ok,

never thought of it in that perspective, because i keep reading and hearing that you need to have an even coat of cake everywhere.

thanx

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That is gospel to some; not at all necessary for others. I was certainly told that when I started, but heed it no more. YMMV!
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.