PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I’m looking at a few upper line Petersons as somehow think I really need at least 1 in my collection. Now is the time having just sold 12!
A few have rims capped with silver, I’m unsure how that’s going to feel to me later. It seems to be a nice trim treatment, but I’m not a rim scorcher and am unsure if later I’ll wonder what the heck was wrong with me for buying a capped pipe. Do you have a silver bowl capped pipe? Do you like it or feel like it was an eyesore later?
Also which lines are better for quality control? I returned 3 in the $95 to $125 range with botched drilling. One was a filter pipe that wouldn’t even draw with a filter inserted, one had a well deeper than little house on the prairie had - but enough of that already.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Don't own one, but have been browsing their selection for quite sometime. I know what you mean, because I have felt on the fence about the silver rim. It looks nice on some, but I wonder if I'd grow to hate it. Always shiny, reflecting sunlight, just kind of unsure.
On the other hand, I do quite admire the look and idea of the pipes with the silver wind caps. I know you can buy the cheap springy ones for any old pipe, but I think I wouldn't mind lifting the cap, firing up a bowl and snapping it back down to keep the wind from blowing out ash or stoking my ember more than I like. Just my take on them.
002-029-7668.jpg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I don't think I'd buy a pipe with a metal rim: I tend to use the two-finger trick when drawing and I'd burn my fingers!
Although, maybe that's one of the points of the cap: you close it when drawing.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Peterson "silver cap" pipes do not have a lid, only a cap on the rim. Pipes with the attached lid haven't been offered in years.
Just checked the Peterson page and I now see nothing with silver caps being offered today. A new ownership change? I have no idea. "Iwan Reis Corporation" isn't showing any in inventory either and they usually have most of the line displayed, even if not in stock. They may only offer silver for military mounts these days. Maybe silver has become to volatile price wise.
I own a couple, both with attached lid. If you like the look, buy one. Maintenance is simple, a wipe now and then with a "jeweler's cloth." I tamp with my finger and the silver cap gets no hotter than the bowl as the tobacco quickly recedes to below the silver cap.
Simply an observation: Petes with the attached lid behave better than the spring loaded caps which are very porous and if not protected from direct wind across the screen, with your hand can fan the "cherry" and create a lot heat in a hurry.

Jan 8, 2013
Warren, Peterson's website only shows a fraction of what they actually currently have available. They don't even show the new lines that just recently were released. Iwan Reis hasn't had a great Peterson selection online in quite some time either. But they do still use silver quite a bit, and even silver caps. Harps, Dublin & London, Rosslare, Royal Irish, Sherlock Holmes, just to name a few lines, still have silver bands. Even the lower line Peterson Dublin can be found with or without a silver band. As far as caps, I've seen one of the newer Rosslare Natural line with a silver cap. It has been some time since I've seen a new pipe with the attached wind cap, however. But I don't believe they ever made a lot of those to begin with. It seems that many of the best Peterson pipes remain in the UK and we basically get what's left here in the states with an occasion bone thrown in to keep the dogs happy. Hopefully, with Laudisi now in ownership of Peterson pipes, we'll see more of what Peterson has to offer.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm just going by what they are promoting on the site. The two pipes with the attached lids I purchased when I was in the store at various times. I haven't been in Dublin in a five years or so, can't speak to what they have on display lately. I know they quit taking special orders for pipes with wind caps at least three years ago. They advised the smith who made and fitted the lids to the pipes was no longer available.
That's all I can peak to. As to availability in Great Britain? J. J. Fox never seems to have much of a Peterson selection and they are the only store convenient to where I stay when in London.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I've not seen any wind caps, just the rim covered with silver.
Are certain lines of better quality than the others? I know I've seen $100 to over $300. But honestly about $160 seems to have the Sherlock original and Watson covered that I set out to look for. The ones I returned that were so poorly done were more like $100 (yet not close to a Stanwell or Sav)

Jan 8, 2013
Al Pascia has a few silver rims and a few silver rims with silver caps.
Those are the new Nickel Caps which Peterson is asking way too much for in my opinion. If I'm spending 250 dollars or more on a pipe, I want silver, not nickel. Definitely not one of Peterson's finer decisions lately.

Jan 8, 2013
I saw those too, Warren. The hinged lids are nickel though, three of them. I'm not usually a fan of blasts, but the XL14 and B5 are pretty sharp.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like some of the beautiful bands done by Les Wood on his Ferndown pipes, and the handsome nickel bands on some Petersons. I find more metal on a pipe showy looking, maybe adding needless weight, and kind of unnecessary. There are wind caps to answer the actual need of smoking in a wind. But if the metal work strums your heart strings, I'd get a pipe or two and see how they do. It doesn't click immediately with me, but some might really enjoy it. I really do fancy the broad band on my Around the World bent bulldog commemorating Ireland, with the Irish cross engraved.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
wrxhtc.jpg

I'm a big fan of Peterson Hinged Lids. Here's my collection. The drilling and wood is flawless. I have 70 or so Peterson Pipes and hands down the quality of the Silver Capped and Hinged Lids is higher. Apparently, silver capped pipes makeup 1% of their production. They no longer make the Hinged Lid line
2z520pu.jpg

I just added this one yesterday. The 408 Hinged Lid was/is my holy grail pipe.

Jan 8, 2013
Fantastic collection, Unkleyoda. I'm currently trying to hunt down a 106 to add a hinged lid to my 106 collection. Yours are all lovely. :clap:

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@uncleyoda! :clap: thanks for sharing great pics of your collection. Wonderful stuff.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Fantastic collection, Unkleyoda. I'm currently trying to hunt down a 106 to add a hinged lid to my 106 collection. Yours are all lovely. :clap:
Thanks. Yeah, the hinged lids are becoming increasingly hard to find. 4 of the ones I have, were eBay purchases, the other 2 were from the PSOI Facebook page. 1 of those was a pipe collection sale of Jim Lilley's and the 408 I was contacted by someone asking if I wanted to buy it from a private estate. The person that contacted me knew of my interest in hinged lids.
They are, in my opinion, the crown jewels of Peterson pipes. It's sad they stopped making them.
The last grail I have is a Hinged Lid Silver Spigot. But those are rarer than hens teeth.
s-l1600.jpg

edb87a741f71b2ef510878a26857d9d0.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
The last grail I have is a Hinged Lid Silver Spigot. But those are rarer than hens teeth.
I believe I saw that amber stem hinged lid spigot and one other on Ebay a while back if I remember that photo correctly. They were going for far more than I was able to afford at the time, unfortunately.
The last grail I have is...
The funny thing about grails is, once you've finally found it, another one or more almost immediately takes its place. I'm currently looking for a Grafton 106, and the hinged lid 106 I mentioned earlier.
To add: For anyone wanting to know, Smokingpipes.com added a bunch of silver caps over the last couple days.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
This is my first high grade Peterson with hallmarked silver band, cap and a silver P embedded in the stem, the grain ain't too shabby either! ;)

Keeping it smokey with more of the Orlik Golden Sliced.

banjo
43915104202_f2436244b8_z_d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.