PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Hey all I found a great little shop not far that carries mostly cigars, discount cigarettes and the like, but they also carry pipe tobacco. Other than PA and SWR on the higher side of quality they carry a lot of Peterson and MacBaren So I'm looking for recommendations. Price is not as cheap as online; but considering my budget I'll save on the shipping. So let me have it; what do you think is a must try from either of theses two?

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
The only Peterson I liked was Sunset Breeze (it's an aromatic).
MacBaren's that I enjoy a lot: Vanilla Flake Loose Cut, Club Blend, Dark Twist, HH Old Dark Fired, Mixture Scottish, Navy Flake, Golden Extra, Virginia No 1, HH Syrian.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
The three ive tried are Sunset Breeze, Connoisseurs Choice, both great aro's, and Old Dublin, which is kinda smells like tires from the tin, im guessing thats the parique? But tastes great. I also have a tin of MacBarens Honey and Chocolate, which is a nice treat once in a while, in small bowls, Cobs and such.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Peterson- Connoisseur's Choice; Sunset Breeze; Nutty Cut; Old Dublin; and I've heard good things about Hyde Park; and the limited edition blends such as Summertime or Holiday Season or Special Reserve tend to be really good as well
Mac Baren- Vanilla Cream Flake or Loose Cut; any of the 7 Seas Line; Plum Cake; Burley London Blend; Original Choice; Navy Flake; Honey and Chocolate

bigmick

Might Stick Around
Nov 1, 2012
MacBaren Symphony and Scottish Mixture Flake are two I keep in stock. All of the HH series are good. I've tried only Irish Flake from Peterson is was pretty good. I need to revisit it now that I understand flakes a bit more.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Peterson Old Dublin is a staple for me, and Sherlock Holmes is becoming one. Their flakes are too high in nicotine for me,although they taste good.
MacB HH Vintage Syrian is also a staple. I have enjoyed Dark Twist, Latakia, The Solent Mixture, Burley London, and Mixture. The latter is a prime example of a "pack it loosely and sip it slowly" blend.
Do be aware, however, that MacBaren uses Syrian latakia, not Cyprian. They are very different critters. The smokiness of latakia is still there, but the taste is quite different. Vintage Syrian has a fair amount of lat, while Latakia Blend uses it very sparingly.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I haven't smoked any Peterson tobacco. However I really am enjoying my open tin of MacBaren's Club Blend. It's a Virginia coin cut with a cavendish center. It's got a sweet light molasses taste with a little bit of baking spices or ginger notes to it. It doesn't seem complex or layered, just a good solid smoke.
I also have enjoyed Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake. Good tobacco with a subtle vanilla taste/smell. It's an aro I'd consider buying again every couple of years.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
MacBaren Vanilla Creme, Peterson Nutty Cut and Irish Oak. The missus likes when I smoke the Irish Oak. :)

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I'll second the recommendation for Club Blend. If you smoke it slow, you'll get a nice toasted marshmallow flavor, and I've never gotten any tongue bite from it. Also, Vanilla Cream Flake and Navy Flake are great.
Connoisseur's Choice and Nutty Cut are my favorite blends from Peterson's. CC is full on aromatic, while Nutty Cut is quite a bit more subtle.

robykeys82

Lurker
Nov 6, 2015
If you like Aromatics, Peterson Sweet Killarney is a must! Despite many saying that it bites, I never experienced it, and I'm a beginner!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
In addition to Irish Flake and University Flake, the Perfect Plug and Irish Oak are great!

Status
Not open for further replies.