PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
So I walked in to the local shop with the plan of picking up a tin of University Flake to try and a Cob to try it in and the estate pipe cabinet caught my eye. (Not hard to catch) In the cabinet was a small Peterson that I hadn't seen before at a pretty good price. Being a fan of Peterson's and of P-lips I bought it. Not I'm looking to the collective to try and help me figure out the age of it. I know this.... It is a Peterson's system standard model 317 rustic finish but trying to figure out how old it is.

image_zps49d45bd0.jpg

image_zps910d1278.jpg

image_zps1b2f668b.jpg

image_zps30947213.jpg

castellarius

Might Stick Around
Oct 20, 2013
IT's difficult to add something to what Rothnh said because only the Petersons with silver can be precisely dated due to hallmarks on the silver itself.
For the rest you can only say it's a Republic Era as Rothnh pointed out.
Smoke it happily and enjoy , another nice Peterson find a new family :)

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
That's pretty much the info I found too. Thanks guys, I know I'll enjoy adding to my growing Peterson family of pipes.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I have the same pipe, except in smooth finish. Same markings on the nickel with the shamrock, fox and tower. Having been across a few Petersons that were narrowed down by period by other means than the silver hallmarks, I believe it to be dated in the 1950's - 1960's. I think they started stamping them in the current fashion with "K&P Peterson" in the 70's, and then at the end of the 90's they dropped the "Made in the Republic of Ireland". Furthermore, in the last couple of years, the legend does not read "Peterson of Dublin" but rather simply "Peterson".

Status
Not open for further replies.