PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
033-1.jpg

Lately I've been infatuated with the Lovat shape. I have a Stanwell that I've been grabbing often and I thought I better give it a break. It's been a few months since I last added to my Peterson collection so I decided to buy anther Pete from the Aran line.
034-1.jpg

One of the things I like about Peterson is that great looking grain can be found at even the basic levels. And the extra embellishment, be it nickel or silver just seems to add a touch of class.
035-1.jpg

For a while I considered focusing my collecting on Petersons and System pipes to be specific. Eventually I came to the realization that there is just too many great pipe companies and individual carvers out there to stick with just one. Because I started my collecting activities three years ago with Peterson I'll always have a soft spot for them. I found this pipe new at Pipes and Cigars and the fishtail bit sealed the deal.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
It's a beauty, Mike, and I wish you many years of happy smoking with that lovely chunk of wood.
Now, if you don't mind taking me to school, I've got a couple of questions on "Pipe Speak."
In the top pix there's that gorgeous slanted grain. Is that what they call tiger stripe?
And, in the second pix, the stripes dissolve into that mass of circular grain called bird's eye, right?
(Been smoking a pipe off and on for thirty five years and it's about damned time I started asking some questions.)
Finally, what's a "system" pipe and how does a Peterson system burner differ from a regular Peterson burner?
Thanks.
Fnord

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Been tempted to add a lovat to my Pete collection, that one is quite nice, my friend.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks Gents! I've burned a few bowls of tobacco through the pipe -Its a keeper.
fnord: Good questions. The grain you spotted has different names. I like your description "tiger stripe". If the grain pattern is straight it's called aptly straight grain. If the grain is wavy it is known as flame. Straight grain is pretty rare so pipes with big swaths of strait grain are especially valuable.
You got it on the birdseye. When you view the birdseye straight on you are looking at the end grain of the wood. Like looking at the end of a cut off log and seeing the rings. The grains whatever kind they are appear when looking at the wood from the side -like any wood. (I think I got that right. I learned this about grain talking with Tim West at the show last week.)
The "System Pipe" was a design by Charles Peterson in which a chamber or well is drilled into shank area then the draft hole is drilled at an angle above the "reservoir". This well collects the moisture and condensation that is a by product of the combustion of tobacco in the pipe. The System is good for aggressive smokers and smoking in hot humid areas. The argument can be made that the design in and of itself causes excess moisture and I believe that just may be the case. Still I love the Systems and they really do trap the moisture and prevent the dreaded gurgle.
I learned everything I know about Petersons and the System pipe from Jim Lilley probably the most knowledgable Pete Nut out there. Check out his excellent pipedia articles: http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=A_closer_look_at_the_famous_Peterson_Standard_System_Pipe
Thanks again for your comments and interest fnord!

Aug 1, 2012
Man I really gotta save up for a Peterson. I've loved the look of every one I have seen, that one is no exception, and everyone who has one seems to love it. That looks to be a very nice pipe.

quaffer

Lurker
Sep 8, 2012
I had that exact same pipe (shape and finish), but gave it to a neighbor. He loves the thing. It's a great looking pipe. Smoke it in good health.

jsiddle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2012
Sexy pipe bro, I like it.
Definitely impressed with my first peterson purchase and will definitely not be my last.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Congratulations entmike! Great looking Peterson Pipe, I just won one on Ebay last night and I'm anxiously waiting for the package to get here later in the week. I won the Sherlock Holmes Bakersville Pipe, can't to get it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.