PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Hey :)
So my parter got me a Peterson 31 and a tin of latakia for xmas.
I've been smoking it daily the past couple weeks (Yes, I opened it early) and now can't seem to work out how to clean it. The cake at the bottom blocked the airhole, which I poked out using the czech tool, but how do you guys go about with regular maintainence on it?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would take the stem out after each smoke, run a pipe cleaner through the stem and airway of the pipe, and wipe out the bowl with a paper towel.

bigbee

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2012
I have one 31 that I use as a traveling pipe
After each smoke I take it apart and use the broad side of a conical pipe cleaner and poke through the airhole a few times (and also twist it around) to keep it open. Then I double up a cleaner and thoroughly wipe out the the reservoir below the bowl. As ash and other goop are gradually making their way to this reservoir, from time to time I wipe it out with some alcohol on a cleaner to loosen it up. Given that this is an army mount, you could also do this just after a smoke, when the euh... mess below has not yet solidified.

Enjoy it in good health

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Damp paper towel in the chamber, pipe cleaner up the airway every smoke. Every half dozen smokes, remove stem and q-tip the mortise thoroughly.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Hi Jess, good to hear from you again. Congrats on the Pete, very nice pipe! What the guys have been telling you is right, Pete system pipes may take a little more work, but don't ignore it or you'll have a stinky mess and a nasty smoke to deal with in the future. Let us know how it smokes for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.