PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
This arrived yesterday while I was at work, but I worked late and wasn't able to open the package until today. I'm very happy with this pipe and will be having the first smoke. Finally having one of these original 999 John Bull/Bull Moose Rhodesians in my hands, I just can't for the life of me understand why Peterson discontinued it and replaced it with what was originally the 998 renamed 999. The shaping is 100% Peterson, with a substantial bowl with plenty of chamber, and quite wide in the shank. Peterson would be smart to reintroduce this shape for good as it's chamber width and depth is quite close to that of Savinelli's ever popular 320. I'd love to see this as a Rosslare Royal Irish! I'm seriously considering the sandblasted and rusticated versions of this pipe just so I'll have more than one. I love it! Please, Peterson, bring this shape back!!!
gg9eOyT.jpg

O6MzSSw.jpg

Number 48/1000

Z9ONWAh.jpg

Very hard to get good photos with my phone. Apologies, as I don't feel like I'm doing it any justice.
I'll be loading this up for it's first smoke with The Country Squire's Rivendell. :puffy:

Reactions: deleon

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, nice! What is the weight? That would tell me how close it is to the original. I think the specs listed on their site were incorrect.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Such a fine looking pipe. While I love the look of my old John Bull, it is somewhat disappointing in having a shallow bowl capacity. Sounds like the new John Bull has a larger capacity.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Nice score, Anthony!!
It is kind of odd how they all weigh the same at SPC. Kind of a shame as I would get one if I could find one that weighed 42-43g max.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
You may have missed my previous question. On the John Bull you received, Is the drilling spot on and will a cleaner pass, or are these like previous Petersons which were all off a little.

Jan 8, 2013
On the John Bull you received, Is the drilling spot on and will a cleaner pass, or are these like previous Petersons which were all off a little.
It needs a slight twist.
Wow, I missed this one. Man that's a pretty Pete.
Thanks! It smokes quite well right out of the box. :D

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Very hard to get good photos with my phone. Apologies, as I don't feel like I'm doing it any justice.
I'll be loading this up for it's first smoke with The Country Squire's Rivendell. :puffy:
Well, it's a fine looking pipe indeed. Perhaps out of the box and with a darker b/g or a method to have a longer exposure. LINK to the thread.

Jan 8, 2013
Enjoy anthony, that is one helluva nice looking pipe. Looks like Peterson is coming back strong.
I think Laudisi purchasing Peterson is going to help Peterson pipes greatly in the long run. They seem to be making some great improvement. I admit, however, as far as precarbs go, I wish they had stuck with the way they were doing it before. But it's not that big of a deal. I've been a Peterson fan since 2013 and I'm sure I will continue to be a fan for many more years. I just love their pipes.
All that being said......
Laudisi, if any of you folks are reading this, PLEASE bring this shape back permanently. Return the current 999 to it's original 998 number, and bring this one back as the 999 as it was before. Or keep the current 999 as is and call this the XL999. It's a huge hit, Peterson fans are happy with it, and I really think this pipe would be a huge seller if readily available. I admit I really want this as a Rosslare Royal Irish. That would be SWEEEEEEET!!!! :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, that's kind of a Pete Plus. That chunky sturdy design wins the heart, for many of us.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Anthony, I agree, if that was a Rosslare Royal Irish Model it would top the charts, enjoy it!

banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.