PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Man I was so excited today when the UPS guy dropped off a box on my front door as I had snagged one of the handful of smooth 150th pipes of the year off smoking pipes last week. I opened the box and was presented with this amazing looking pipe.

ulmNIdAl.png

Then I turned it over.
lQu8NZvl.png

A big ole fill on the right side of the pipe. You would think that Peterson would have some better quality control on their limited edition pipes....

Reactions: revnatorade

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Probably true, but the seller'd be a good place to start. My experiences with SP customer service have been really good. They could at least steer you toward the factory rep or get you a contact at Peterson. That just blows, especially for a limited edition pipe. Good luck. :puffy:

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Stuff happens, with everything.

Call the seller & they will take care of you.

Sad for your experience !!

But you will get what you want, I bet!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
You would THINK.....that would NEVER pass quality control of some sort. I have Sav unfinished briars I paid less than $50 for with less fill...

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Of course it passed quality control. Its the quality control that says fills are OK. :) Sheesh, maybe they should have sandblasted that one.
Why does the USA seem to get this kind of stuff but Europe gets nice Peterson's?
Sorry Pylorns. That just bites.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Bummer man! I hope you are able to work it out to your satisfaction. Very disappointing for a special edition pipe. :(

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Heart breaking to say the least. I'd rather see my pipe with a natural sand pit than some ugly looking fill.
Hope they get you squared away without too much hassle.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Eh, fills don't affect the smoking quality and with time it'll darken as you smoke it.
That's one persons opinion, yours and others may differ wildly and if you are not willing to accept it as it is then return it. At least with some makers even artisans, think Italians, they just leave the pits alone and still get the asking price. I like that Peterson and I'm not a huge fan overall, my personal feeling is that I'd feel privileged to own a keepsake like that one but sometimes I'm a push over when it comes to pipes.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I wish I could say that fills on Peterson's special editions are rare, but of the four I have personally inspected three had more than one very noticeable fill. One even had fills that broke up the nomenclature. This also is nothing new for Peterson's. The most recent of those pipes was 25 years old.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have had good Petes, but I've had lots of fills in Petes too. Sorry man. Best of luck with getting her replaced.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Save yourself the hassle and return it to SP.. sure it should have never got out the Peterson door but SP should also have looked it over. They didn't see it when they photographed it? Much easier for them to deal with the rep then you.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I'm sure smokingpipes.com will take it as a return, but it would be nice if we could make this an exchange for one that doesn't have a fill.. or at least one so glaringly obvious. I've got one of my favorite systems that has some fills.. that's fine, but as you move up the price scale I expect better quality briar...

Status
Not open for further replies.