PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Man, did I luck out. After a couple of months of searching, I finally landed the 106 Fisherman pipe, with a stem of swirling gray that reminds me of lake water, a perfect companion to the 106 Atlantic.
peterson_fisherman_106-600x220.png

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
VerY Nice pipe Mr Sparrow, now as to Peterson classic shapes could you tell me how the old Peterson shape nro 6 differs from 106 ?I'm under the impression that number 6 might come with a smaller chamber size,though I'm not seeing this very shape number of 6 today except from the factory Rosslare Royal line .

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for thinking I'm some sort of expert on Petersons. I'm not. I'm not at all familiar with nro 6. I have primarily the 106s and the heavier 107s, particularly in the Dracula and Irish Harp series. The 106 has a large chamber but thin walls, so it heats up in the hand more quickly than the 107, which has a respectable chamber, and a .25 inch (!) chamber wall, a great pipe for holding but a tad heavy for clenching. For this reason I've started to shift my favortism for the 107 to the 106, and perhaps this is why the 107 is hard to find. Still, I'm keeping a lookout for a smooth Drac 107 as well as the smooth 106 Drac. I'm told both are virtually impossible to find.

What makes the Royal line special? A better quality of briar? Seems I've heard that. Is this the line that has silver caps and rings?

I've pretty much gotten most of my want list of Petersons, believe it or not. I'd like to get a freehand, but I've bills to pay. We'll see how long I can resist the PAD bug. For now, I want to explore the quality non-aromatic tobaccos. Does Lane make any good non-aromatics? As usual, open to suggestions, but limit them to tins.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thanks Sparrow,speaking of Peterson Rosslare Royal Irish,I can't say this line is something outstandingly special but the overall quality seems to be pretty decent, briar is nice without fills,has medium lacquering (which obviously is fading away with further use) and yes it has double silver rings but no caps, AS for the Lale Limited only I had tried was their Ready Rubbed Burley and it was quite nice and the price is more than affordable,comes in blue pouches. Best Greets, Paul

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks to all. I'm thinking about a Plato; not too expensive but a good quality freestyle.

About tobaccos: what is a good, mild Frog Morton?

Status
Not open for further replies.