PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spugni

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2017
Long Island, NY
Hi. I recently acquired a one pound bag of Peterson Irish Oak. It came in a gold foil bag, kind of like a bag of coffee. They don't look as susceptible to holes like the Esoterica bags. I was wondering what your thoughts are regarding long term aging? Can I leave it in the bag or should I get it in mason jars. I appreciate the suggestions!

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
I wouldn't trust the bags definitely would put them in a trusty mason jar or jars.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I am experiencing near optimal humidity conditions for tobacco storage right now.
If you'd like, I'll be happy to store your bag. I'll even pull a bowl out every week to ensure things are staying within acceptable parameters.
Because you seem like a really nice guy, I'd do this for free. You'd need only cover the shipping expense.
You're welcome... :nana:
Or you could just jar it, as Ben suggested.
jay-roger.jpg

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I opened a 1# Mylar bag of Tordenskjold Slices after 10 years and the moisture was fine. I would still jar it. Bags can hold moisture in and still let some air exchange so I think the jar is better suited for aging. You can get the half gallon jars and stuff the bag in it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For some reason I took this photo last night. The biggest jar holds two pounds, the next one 1.5 pounds. The biggest two jars are for long term storage (well, at least a year)
Many find that splitting a tin or bag and putting in smaller jars is a good idea, as once they're opened the aging changes. (Doesn't stop, but changes.)
Yum!

twopounds.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.