PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Hello,
I recently purchased a Peterson Sports Prince pipe from ebay and I am having a hard time finding out information on the era this was made. I checked the Peterson Pipe Notes site and there is no information available on it. Does anyone here have a similar pipe to this one and do you know when it was made? I would like to get a couple more of these but if they were made a long time ago I will probably alter my search for another pipe if these are long gone.
Thanks!

Peterson%20SH1825%201.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Is Peterson calling this a Prince? Does not look like one. Can you please show the nomenclature in full?
Still, a nice looking smoker.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OK, so I found the site that hosts the above photo. Their description:
Manufacturer:

Peterson
Model:

Sports

Made in:

Ireland
Shape:

Apple
Type:

Unique
Pipe Bowl:

Briar
Mouthpiece:

Ebonite

Lip-bit
Drilling:

3,4mm
Application:

None
Condition:

Estate/Smoked

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I think we may be misreading my question. I know what the pipe is and who makes it and that it was made in the Republic of Ireland. I want to know the year it was made so I can get an idea if it is no longer produced/unobtainable or if it is a fairly recent model. Full disclaimer, that is not the picture of my pipe it is a picture of the same pipe I have.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
When I get home I will add a picture of my actual pipe. All it says on one side is Peterson “Sports” and the other side says Made in the Republic of Ireland. I found other pipes that have the same shape listed as prince shapes.
Hope that clarifies it.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
It's a republic era pipe then, so that means 1949 to 1989. The format of the stampings would narrow it down further.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
The screenshot I attached is the actual pipe I purchased. I just don’t have the link with all the other photos. I will post the pictures of it as soon as I can.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Besides the "Peterson's 'Sports'" I'd say it's a bent Apple. Maybe a nose-warmer, too. It is pretty far from being a Prince shape.

ambush64

Lurker
Dec 8, 2018
milehighpiper
I believe that the "Sports" #4 is a stubby shape #408 "regular" Peterson shape. The #408 is a Prince shape. I believe the "Sports" series is no longer in production. The new "Outdoor" series is similar as far as stubby stems with "normal" size bowls.
"Made In The Republic Of Ireland" means it was made sometime between 1949 and the present.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-MINT-Peterson-039-s-Sports-CLASSIC-PRINCE-NOSEWARMER-Irish-Estate-Pipe-Peterson-/362427550921?
The seller thinks 70s or early 80s -- I would guess the same, just based on the overall "look" the pipe has. Peterson pipes are hard to date precisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.