PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We just saw that. (wife mentioned it). The Monkees was a fascinating project. The music was actually quite good and the musicians were "The Wrecking Crew" studio group. There's a great documentary on the Wrecking Crew and one on the Monkees tv show.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the group suffered from the bubble-gum image, but the energy and some of the tunes were good in retrospect.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I enjoyed the Monkees as a very young kid growing up on American television. Then around the age of nine or ten I started discovering real music.
But even so, the Monkees were ok for what they were. RIP Peter.
And I learned a piece of Monkee trivia today that I never knew before...Michael Nesmith's mother invented Liquid Paper, aka White Out. Apparently she ended up making millions from it but sadly died rather young (late 50's I think it was) and Michael apparently inherited the money.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My piece of Monkee trivia is that there was once a young musician who was starting out with the same name as Davy Jones in the Monkees. Not wanting to be confused, he went by a different name for performing. We remember him as David Bowie.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Turns out we were neighbors and I had no idea! I just stared in shocked disbelief when my wife mentioned it yesterday.I was a big fan of the monkeys and of Peter in particular. RIP

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Sad news now that 4 have become two. RIP Peter Tork.
I have always been a Monkees fan with Mike Nesmith probably the one I gravitated to on the show. After the show went off the air and the band ceased to be, I continued to follow Nez's career.
Some other Mike trivia (beyond the Liquid Paper inheritance):

- Had a chart topping song on the radio before the Monkees formed - Different Drum performed by Linda Ronstadt

- Wrote/Produced a couple of movies: The Timerider with Fred Ward and cult favorite Repo Man.

- Wrote/Produced and appeared on the TV Show Elephant Parts

- Founder of multi-media concept which led to his co-creation of MTV, and is in the MTV Hall Of Fame.
I was fortunate enough to see the Mike & Micky Experience last year where they played a ton of the old hits. For guys that were like 73 and 76 years old, they brought it.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Their music was fun and uplifting and I still enjoy hearing it today. There was a freshness to it that made you feel happy. Thank you boys.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Last Train to Clarksville and Daydream Believer are fantastic songs that still hold up today.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
^ Those are good tunes.
LTTC written by Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart.
DB by John Stewart of the Kingston Trio.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Rest in peace, indeed. The Monkees were fun and uplifting and the music, regardless of who performed it, was enjoyable to listen to. Last Train to Clarksville and Daydream Believer were two I liked a lot as well. They stuck to what they were good at, instead of going off to India and making idiotic gibberish they could pawn off to hippie kids as "deep".

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
instead of going off to India and making idiotic gibberish they could pawn off to hippie kids as "deep".
giphy.gif

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@Aldecaker: I realize you've probably already purchased this by now, but just in case you weren't aware, I thought you'd want to know the White Album 50th anniversary super deluxe edtion 6 CD set is available!
https://www.amazon.com/Beatles-White-Album-CD-Blu-ray/dp/B07HFYZY7D/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3DZW4Q1ZPTIDJ&keywords=beatles+white+album+50th+anniversary+box+set&qid=1550903804&s=music&sprefix=beatles+%2Cpopular%2C206&sr=1-1

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Some of their songs were written by artist/writers who became really big names later on.
Neil Diamond

Carole King

Barry Man

Michael Martin Murphy

Harry Nilsson

Neil Sedaka

Paul Willaims
Jack Nicholson is also credited with writing one of the Monkees songs. Don't know if that was the actor or someone else.
I remember the stories about none of the Monkees being able to play instruments when they were hired but later found out that Dolenz, Nesmith and Tork were musicians and that Davy Jones could sing.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Jack Nicholson is also credited with writing one of the Monkees songs. Don't know if that was the actor or someone else.
Yes the actor. Jack Nicholson was credited with co-writing the Monkees movie "Head" which included it's soundtrack. Not saying it was great, but it was him.

Status
Not open for further replies.