PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
This is not a formal review as there are plenty of those available on line. Also, if there is any dissent from the consensus that the Stokkebye and Arango tobacco's sold under this name are the same, I can't intelligently address that issue.
What I can say is that, based on having smoked about two ounces of the Stokkebye version out of a pound purchased from 4 Noggins, this is absolutely one of the best bulk Balkan blends I have ever smoked, going back to around 1980. I am stunned at how good it is. One respected reviewer characterized it as a lat bomb, on that I would dissent. I think the orientals are very much in evidence, though the Latakia is definitely present. There is a roundness that might be attributed to the Cavendish, though I can't really say for sure where it comes from. It is rich, layered, complex, etc.etc. Great for an after dinner smoke, but it burns cool and clean so I have smoked as many as three bowls a day.
And it is cheap. 4 Noggins sells it under the Stokkebye label, Smoking Pipes sells it as Arango and Pipes and Cigars sells it as plain Balkan Supreme, just do a search and that is the bulk that comes up. My pound arrived at an ideal moisture content, which for me is very much on the dry side ("steam is hotter than smoke"- Bob Rex) so you will probably want to get this in jars on arrival.
By the early 1980's, I had been turned on to the virtues of aged tobacco. I have smoked Balkan, English and Scottish mixtures that were indisputably made back when blenders worked from stocks of aged leaf, and it is frankly unreasonable to expect that anything made after that practice became obsolete can precisely duplicate that experience. But, if I had smoked this back then, I would have considered it a very worthy blend.

Reactions: tomnernas2ndson

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I've not yet had this blend. But it's been on my list for some time. Sounds like a worthy blend. Thanks for the thoughts.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
That would be good to find out definitely if it's the same blend. I have arango BS and I agree it's a great blend, the retailers I deal with only carry the PS. I find this blend really has the incense notes people talk about

Oct 7, 2016
@@ Andy, don't take my word for it.Russ says: "The reason that it's not listed under Peter Stokkebye is that they make this for Arango. It's not distributed through the normal distribution channel for Stokkebye (Lane Limited), but exclusively through Arango, so it's technically not a Stokkebye blend." There is a whole thread devoted to this subject on this forum and also on a competing forum.
@jackswilling, years ago, I would have characterized something that tasted like this as Latakia centric. Having smoked more Oriental centric blends over the intervening years, I kind of lean towards the latter category now, but it is a close call.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
4 Noggins sells it under the Stokkebye label, Smoking Pipes sells it as Arango and Pipes and Cigars sells it as plain Balkan Supreme
Yep ... one and the same and a tasty blend that I put away a couple pounds of. (HH Vintage Syrian also) :puffy:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Balkan Supreme has been my everyday smoke for three years now. It's very easy to pack, burns cool and evenly in all my pipes as long as I don't push it. There are balkans I like better, but yeah, price is a huge factor.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Just tried it for the first time. IMO it is a mild Balkan. A very pleasing morning smoke. Goes great with a cup of black tea with lemon. Arrived nice and dry. No re-lights after initial 3. Burns cool, down to a very fine ash. I packed it loosely. A+ in book. Tried it in the cob, later today will use a briar.

Oct 7, 2016
@daveinlax, I have read of others with the same opinion, but my own experience is only with Balkan Sasieni as it was when initially introduced in the 1990s and IMO Balkan Supreme is not at all the same as what was available then However, they are both made by S T G now, so they may well be identical.
If anywhere near true, then I guess I have no incentive to try Balkan Sasieni. Ordered from JR with free shipping and a currently available 15% coupon if you do a search, Sasieni runs $4.20 an ounce based on a 1.75 ounce tin. The pound I bought from 4 Noggins is very slightly more than half that.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
Is Peter Stokkebye/Arango Balkan Supreme a hard one to find? Seems to be sold out online whenever I search for it.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
Ah ok blend nothing special in my opinion. But i havet only tried it 2 times soo far so mabey it will grow on med.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
005-443-0046.jpg
Here's a tip passed on to me by Lestrout: If you like the Peter Stokkebye flakes, be sure to try their sister Virginia flake, Sutliff Virginia Slices. Despite the Sutliff moniker, it's also made at Orlik by STG and if you like the PS blends, you will certainly enjoy it, too. I last paid $123/5# and it's gone up in price a bit, but still a good deal at $148/5#.

Oct 7, 2016
I have smoked about half of the pound I got from 4 Noggins that was referenced in my OP. My opinion remains the same:. For the $ it is one heck of a smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.